We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

oregon coast to crater lake

california
12 posts
Save Topic
oregon coast to crater lake

Hi- we will be making a trip to Gresham by air. We decided to rent a car and travel the up into seattle and then down the oregon coast. Does anyone have any suggestions are where we should stop and how many days we should take? Right now we are committed to 4 days in gresham for family, and then planned to have another 2 weeks on the road. Is this enough time?

Thanks

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,583 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: oregon coast to crater lake

Assume you are flying into PDX and renting a car.

2 weeks sightseeing, depends on what you want to see how much time you want to spend in each place, do you like to hike, see museums, etc, spend time in cities, when will you be here, etc.

If you are coming in the summer there are many more options than if you plan to be here in the next couple of weeks.

You could spend the entire two weeks in Oregon and never go to Seattle at all. Let us not your interests so that we can better advise you.

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,793 posts
1,099 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: oregon coast to crater lake

So you plan to go to Seattle from Gresham, then back down I-5, then west to the Oregon coast?

Do you also want to go to Crater Lake?

What time of year are you visiting? And are you flying back out of PDX also?

What sorts of things do you enjoy doing / seeing, and are you traveling with children?

Mentioned in this post
california
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: oregon coast to crater lake

Our trip begins July 3rd. We are commited in Gresham through the 6th. I thought it would be nice to go to Seattle in that I would love to see Puget Sound. I heard the ferry trip to Bainbridge island is a must. And would like to see some of the olympic mountain area along the coast. 101 loop? I 90 Scenic Drive? I've read about these in the guidebooks but don't know if they are worthwhile.

We thought we would spend 2-3 nights in Seattle, and then head down the coast through the olympic mountain route, and hit a few places on the way.

Maybe:

Astoria? Florence? Crater Lake? Bend? and back to Gresham.

Would really like to spend a few nights near the ocean somewhere. Maybe even camp out in a tent?

Any suggestions are welcome- no solid plans other then the first few days of the trip. Love to hike. Have no kids. Love the beach.

THANKS

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Astoria
Astoria
Oregon Coast, OR
Florence
Florence
Oregon Coast, OR
Bend
Bend
Central Oregon, OR
Oregon
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: oregon coast to crater lake

I can't speak for WA so hopefully someone will help you out.

Haven't been to Astoria for a long time, but Fort Stevens State Park isn't far from there and is a great camping spot. Since you are in a tent you can probably still get sites. The state parks in OR fill up very quickly. Fort Stevens has lots of bike paths and a fort you can go through. A little lake, and the ocean. You have to ride or drive to ocean from withint the park. Cannon Beach is close by and is a fun touristy town.

Tillamook is the cheese factory and you can take a tour and get ice cream :-)

Lincoln City has a great beach area.

Lincoln City to Depot Bay is a pretty drive with some nice beaches between. Once you get to Depot Bay it is nice to walk in town. Lots of shops and you can take a whale watching trip. It is a pretty spot but there is not any beach access.

Depot Bay to Newport has another great camping spot called Beverly Beach State Park. It has close beach access from within the park from one end. It's a very nice beach. There are several areas to access the beach from this stretch and on.

Lincoln City, Depot Bay and Newport are all pretty close to one another. About 2-3 hours from Gresham. If you head to Florence it is closer to 6 hours (I think). You can take a dune buggy ride in Florence and the dunes are pretty cool if you haven't seen them. Honeyman Memorial State Park is another nice park.

Rogue River out of Gold Beach with is farther north has some mail boat trips that are fun. We've done the long one a couple times and really enjoyed it. You have lunch half way up.

You could cut over from the coast and go to Bend. Depending on what you like Bend has a great museum called the High Dessert Museum. There is lots of hiking and lava lands there. Sunriver is a recreation area with tons of bike paths, river stuff, golfing, horses, swimming, etc.

Between Bend and Portland/Gresham you could stop to gamble and swim at the Indian Reservation called Kah Nee Ta warm springs. (not sure of my spelling). There is a wonderful area called the Billy Chinook where they rent house boats, jet skis, etc. Camping there too. Cove Pallisades is the campground. The lower one is nicer.

Driving over the mountain you could stop at TImberline Lodge. It is a little over an hour to Gresham. The area on the mountain has a lot of Forest Service Campgrounds that are very nice. There are many small lakes and areas to explore there.

I think Crater Lake is about 2 hours from Bend.

The amount of time you take really depends on how much time you want to spend driving hiking and exploring. There area many things to see in Oregon alone. Same with WA. If you are going to be in Gresham I'd take a drive up to Multnomah Falls too. It is worth seeing. You can hike to the top too. It is only 30-45 min from the Gresham area.

Mentioned in this post
Astoria
Astoria
Oregon Coast, OR
Fort Stevens State Park
Fort Stevens State Park
934 Reviews
Astoria, OR
Cannon Beach
Cannon Beach
Oregon Coast, OR
Lincoln City
Lincoln City
Oregon Coast, OR
Newport
Newport
Oregon Coast, OR
Beverly Beach State Park
Beverly Beach State Park
144 Reviews
Otter Rock, OR
Florence
Florence
Oregon Coast, OR
Gold Beach
Gold Beach
Oregon Coast, OR
Bend
Bend
Central Oregon, OR
Sunriver
Sunriver
Central Oregon, OR
Timberline Lodge
Timberline Lodge
1,123 Reviews
Timberline Lodge, OR
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Multnomah Falls
Multnomah Falls
2,652 Reviews
Bridal Veil, OR
Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,583 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: oregon coast to crater lake

OK - get out your paper maps and log onto MapQuest and start figuring out your time tables. I'll give you some Washington highlights. Also post to the WA forums, for more ideas.

Since you are traveling w/o children, like hiking, and the days are long in July, you can probably cover a quite a lot of this area.

I would suggest that when you head to Seattle, you make a side trip up to Mt. St. Helens, drive all the way to Johnston Ridge Visitor Center. This will give you the best views of the crater. If you leave Gresham early, you can easily do this and arrive in Seattle before dark.

Spend 2 or 3 days in Seattle, then take the Bainbridge Island Ferry and head north to Poulsbo, Port Townsend, and Port Angeles. Headquarters for Olympic National Park is in Port Angeles. Plan to see Hurricane Ridge, Lake Crescent, the Hoh Rainforest, Rialto or Ruby Beach, maybe Neah Bay and Sol duc Hot Springs. Plan at least 3 days for ONP.

Head south on Hwy 101 down the west side of ONP, stop at Kalaloch and Lake Quinault. From here you have a couple of options--continue south on 101 to Astoria (although this is not really very scenic) or go east from Aberdeen/Hoquiam to Olympia and spend a day or 2 at Mt. Rainier National Park.

Some good places to camp in ONP and Rainier. Log onto their park websites. From Astoria south along the Oregon Coast you can spend probably 2 to 5 days, depending on what you really want to see. There are some Walk-in tent campsites at Oswald West State Park. The Oregon Coast has many great state parks and forest service campgrounds.

Crater Lake and Bend and back to Gresham could take another 3 to 4 days.

Hopefully you will take some time to go to Mt. Hood and up the Columbia River Gorge during your 4 days in Gresham.

Mentioned in this post
Washington Park
Washington Park
1,266 Reviews
Portland, OR
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Port Townsend
Port Townsend
Washington
Port Angeles
Port Angeles
Washington
Hurricane Ridge
Hurricane Ridge
1,445 Reviews
Olympic National Park, WA
Lake Crescent Lodge
Lake Crescent Lodge
890 Reviews
Hotel Rialto
Hotel Rialto
1,663 Reviews
Vancouver Island, Canada
Ruby Beach
Ruby Beach
943 Reviews
Lake Quinault
Lake Quinault
122 Reviews
Quinault, WA
Astoria
Astoria
Oregon Coast, OR
Olympia
Olympia
Washington
Oswald West State Park
Oswald West State Park
271 Reviews
Cannon Beach, OR
Bend
Bend
Central Oregon, OR
Columbia River Gorge
Columbia River Gorge
973 Reviews
Hood River, OR
california
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: oregon coast to crater lake

Just wanted to say a BIG THANK YOU to those that have responded to my e-mail. I can't begin to say how helpful you have been. I am going to whip out my map and try to figure out some of the info. you gave me. I beginning to wonder if 14 days is enough, or if I should shorten the trip.

I must admit that I've never slept in a tent before, so this should be interesting. My husband really wants to do it- "He wants an adventure". I have no idea of what is involved with camping, so will have to research it a bit, and it will be a bit tricky since we have to travel by air with tent, sleeping bags, etc.

THANKS again.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,793 posts
1,099 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: oregon coast to crater lake

Traveling by air with all your tent camping supplies is going to be a little difficult, I fear! Tent, sleeping bags, air mattresses (?), cookstove, dishes/utensils, lantern, regular luggage for clothing and so on . . . you might want to look into KOA Kamping Kabins:

www.koa.com

The State parks also have yurts available, but I think they are booked up waaaaay in advance.

BTW, it's "Depoe" Bay, not Depot Bay on the coast, lol!

Most of the Oregon State Campgrounds are *not* ON the beach. Fort Stevens is not even within walking distance of the ocean, unless you are a serious walker. Beverly Beach campground is tucked on the east side of Hwy 101 and is behind the new bridge construction, so is noisy and kind of messed up right now and for the next year at least. Beachside just south of Waldport is located on the beach, but is also right on Hwy 101. The campgrounds book up very early in the year, so you'd have to check now and be sure to make reservations.

Depoe Bay, Newport and the surrounding area is about 3.5-4 hours from Gresham. Florence is about 1+ hours south of Newport along Hwy 101, but it is not on the ocean. Yachats is very pretty with many hiking opportunities.

Gold Beach is well to the south on the Oregon coast. This might help you:

www.101milebymile.com

spectacularoregon.com/coast/north/astoria.htm

(follow it south)

Mentioned in this post
Depoe Bay
Depoe Bay
Oregon Coast, OR
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Newport
Newport
Oregon Coast, OR
Florence
Florence
Oregon Coast, OR
Gold Beach
Gold Beach
Oregon Coast, OR
Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,583 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: oregon coast to crater lake

Has your husband ever been camping? If not, or only in an RV when he was a kid--suggest you test it out first by finding someplace close to home in CA where it is warm and dry and camp out a night or two.

Having camped for many, many years I can tell you that the OR/WA coast, in even in July, is really not the place to try it out. There is always a real possiblity of rain, fog, cold, damp. Even if you set your camp up on a lovely sunny afternoon, a rain storm can blow up overnight and you are left with packing up a wet, soggy tent in the AM.

I know backpackers fly into places and camp, however, that is a whole different ballgame. As half brit points out, you need more than a tent and sleeping bags if you are going camping, unless you just plant to sleep in the tent and eat in restaurants.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,793 posts
1,099 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: oregon coast to crater lake

Another option might be to rent a small motorhome. They have large vans that are called "Class B" motorhomes that are easy to drive and fit into regular parking spaces. They come equipped with all the necessities and the luxuries as well :-)

Then you could stay in either campgrounds or RV parks, and would already have everything you need.

california
12 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: oregon coast to crater lake

I am beginnning to get the idea that camping is not a good idea- even for a night or two. And yes we planned to eat out. Just sleep in the tent. So much for a romantic night on the beach.

After reading about camping in the olympic mountain area, bears have become a big fear. Maybe we will save the camping adventure for another time. Preferable with experienced folk.

So, for a trip in July- is the consensus that we should book hotel rooms in advance?

Thanks for the posts. I appreciate it.

Get answers to your questions about Gresham