We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Columbia River Gorge wineries & September festivals

Which Hood River hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, TX
Level Contributor
35 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Columbia River Gorge wineries & September festivals

Anyone know of good wineries to visit in the Columbia River Gorge area? We really enjoyed the Willamette Pinot Noirs and would like to find some good wineries in this area.

Also, do you know of any festivals in this area or Portland or Mt Hood area in September which is when we're planning this trip.

Thanks!

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,577 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Columbia River Gorge wineries & September festivals

Hello, Texas

We have special things most every weekend. The Wine Passport Weekend is April 29th and the Wine Grand Tasting is May 6th. September is a really good month because it is almost harvest time. I am sure you will find something you like.

You can check out http://columbiagorgewine.com/events.htm

You are just missing the Wine and Seafood Festival in Portland at the Oregon Convention Center on Feb. 3-4.

My favorite winery is Marchesi, run by an Italian man who said the areas of the Hood River are much like the part of Italy he grew up in. They have a patio and munchies are flowing. Some weekends have barbeques to enjoy. Local and visitors alike mingle and talk and taste.

I love Maryhill as well because they have great wine but they are also high up on a hill overlooking the River and Oregon. They are in Goldendale, WA.

They have several festivals and events during the summer here. A wine map is included in that link I gave you.

Have fun tasting.

MrsO

Edited: 31 January 2012, 21:01
Houston, TX
Level Contributor
35 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Columbia River Gorge wineries & September festivals

Thanks for the suggestions, MrsO! I had read earlier posts saying Marchesi was a favorite so that will definitely be on the list. Maryhill sounds good as well. Appreciate the info and the link.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,577 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Columbia River Gorge wineries & September festivals

You are so welcome. We take a small cheese and cracker lunch and after tasting wine, buy a bottle and go out on Maryhill's deck and and watch the sunset over the river. It's beautiful.

You may like to visiit the Maryhill Museum while nearby at their winery. Also a Stonehenge replica east of the Museum. Who would know there was the Queen of Romania's throne inside a museum in the desert of Oregon?

Oregon is rich with wineries. If you go on the "Fruit Loop" you can pick your own fruit or get it picked with honeys from pollination of that fruit. A lot of the wineries are on that loop.

Enjoy your trip.

MrsO

Edited: 31 January 2012, 23:01
Level Contributor
34,468 posts
888 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Columbia River Gorge wineries & September festivals

Cathedral Ridge and Pheasant Hill are nice ones to viist. :)

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
35 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Columbia River Gorge wineries & September festivals

Thanks again...you're a wealth of info!

Would you mind giving me your opinion on this possible itinerary:

Portland - 1 night and start early towards Mt. Hood stopping along the way through the CRG, wineries and some of fruit loop.

Mt Hood Timberline - 1 night

Skanvia (?) Lodge in Stevenson, WA - 1 night

See Mt St Helen on way to Mt Rainier - 2 nights @ Paradise Inn

Woodinville, WA - 2 nights

We want some time to walk and hike so we could add 1-2 nights on this trip and thinking it may need to be either Mt. Hood or Skanvia. What do you think?

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,577 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Columbia River Gorge wineries & September festivals

What time does your plane get in? If it is early enough, you could reach Skamania Lodge (in Washington, take the Cascade Locks Bridge of the Gods and follow the signs..) within a an hour and play in the Gorge in the waterfalls for a couple of days then take Oregon 35 (along the side Hood River, up to Timberline Lodge for a meal and a night, then in the morning, take 26 down through the mountain to Sandy and Gresham and take Burnside or even Troutdale Blvd. to reach I-84 again and go on to Mt. St. Helens.

Paradise Inn sounds good for 2 nights in Ranier.

Other than that, it looks good. This way, more scenery and no backtracking.

MrsO

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,578 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Columbia River Gorge wineries & September festivals

I like the itinerary posed by texascajun better...explore the Oregon side of the Gorge, spend a night at Timberline and go back via the Washington side, with a night at Skamania Lodge. Then start out fresh in the morning to see Mt. St. Helens and go on to Ranier. Easy to add a night in Hood River if he has the time. I see no attraction to the route via Sandy, Gresham and Burnside.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,577 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Columbia River Gorge wineries & September festivals

You don't think the forest is beautiful? Most do.

MrsO

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,578 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Columbia River Gorge wineries & September festivals

I love the forest (I have one in my backyard)...but I think the OP will get plenty of it on his way up to Timberline and back and at Mt. Rainier. I always found the stretch you recommend to be a more stressful drive than the Washington side of the Columbia.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,577 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Columbia River Gorge wineries & September festivals

If the OP goes to Timberline and back to Washington on Oregon 35 it's a 2 hour drive repeating itself. That's no fun on a vacation. Doing the Mount Hood Loop in its entirety is completely new each way. I was trying to be thoughtful.

Otherwise the OP gets to see 2 hours of Oregon 35 twice. (4 hours?) That is why I suggested it the way I did. I do love both sides of the Gorge. I detest backtracking on a short vacation. I would rather see something new each day.