We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any scenic restaurants near Water Gap?

Marlboro, New Jersey
Level Contributor
103 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Any scenic restaurants near Water Gap?

Hi.

My family is traveling to NY next weekend. We will be passing the Delaware Water Gap which will also be our half way point so I would like to stop and get lunch. I really wanted to stop and check out a waterfall or something but my mother is traveling with us and has trouble walking. So I was thinking of a nice scenic restaurant or even a picnic spot instead.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Delaware
Delaware
United States
6 replies to this topic
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
260 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any scenic restaurants near Water Gap?

If you are taking I-80....

Not very scenic (as far as beibng on the side of the gap looking down...), but very iconic... Hot Dog Johnny's!

In Buttzville, NJ on Rt 46 - http://www.hotdogjohnny.com/shop/

Great hot dogs and amazing fries washed down with a frosted mug of birch beer, just the thing for a road trip lunch. It also sits along a very pretty stream. The drive along Rt 46 is also very pretty as it follows the Delaware River for some portions.

Depending on your direction of travel, you'd get off Edit 4 or Exit 12 from I-80. Rt 46 runs parallel to I-80 so it's easy on/off.

The Del Water Gap area is more nature than restaurants along the route.

Edited: 13 October 2015, 00:01
Mentioned in this post
Delaware
Delaware
United States
Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any scenic restaurants near Water Gap?

I agree that Hot Dog Johnny's is quaint , in an attractive setting by the Pequest River

However, your whole family better like hot dogs and fries, because thats literally all they serve.

Edited: 13 October 2015, 02:58
Marlboro, New Jersey
Level Contributor
103 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any scenic restaurants near Water Gap?

Thanks. I looked into that restaurant. There was a winery nearby I was thinking about visiting.

We are traveling from central NJ to Cortland. Should we get off 80? Do a sceninc rt?

Mentioned in this post
Cortland
Cortland
Finger Lakes, NY
hudson valley
Level Contributor
3,080 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Any scenic restaurants near Water Gap?

If you've got the time you might consider taking 209 north from Water Gap, and then 97 along the River in NY and then 17 to I-81. 209 will take you past Dingmans Falls about 40 minutes north of Water Gap. DF itself may be too long a walk, but Silverthread Falls is very close to the visitor center.

You could also consider finding a restaurant in Columbia, NJ or Portland, PA. They're across the river from each other a few miles south of the water gap itself. There's a pedestrian bridge that will offer some views towards the gap and it may be easy enough for your mom, plus a highway bridge so you can drive to the PA side. There are also a number of rest areas along I-80 very close to the gap, and a couple on PA 611 a bit south of the gap. Any of those might be good places for a picnic lunch. I think Point of Gap offers one of the better views:

https://goo.gl/maps/kr6bAmzgyQS2

Mentioned in this post
Dingmans Falls
Dingmans Falls
378 Reviews
Dingmans Ferry, PA
Columbia
Columbia
South Carolina
Marlboro, New Jersey
Level Contributor
103 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any scenic restaurants near Water Gap?

Thanks!!! That was very helpful.

2rh
Clinton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
82 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any scenic restaurants near Water Gap?

Hot Dog Johnny's is right on the river with picnic tables. They also have really good fresh buttermilk, and ice cream. They have flowers and stuff so often we see butterflies and birds there, in addition to looking at the river.

Reply to: Any scenic restaurants near Water Gap?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Delaware Water Gap