We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Vacation in Harrisburg/ Hershey Area - Hotels?

New Milford...
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Family Vacation in Harrisburg/ Hershey Area - Hotels?

We're a family of three on a majorly limited budget planning a trip to Hershey, ZooAmerica, Indian Echo Caves, and other regional attractions the first week of August. My husband asks that our hotel be inexpensive - read, under $80 including tax - and within 30 minutes of Hershey Park.

I'm not so worried about the price, as I am adept at navigating many sites; our backup hotel is booked already (Wyndham Garden Harrisburg-Hershey). I would be happy to stay there - but I've read so many negative reviews that, frankly, I'm spooked. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any recent reviews or discussions of hotels in the area.

Can anyone recommend a good, safe hotel with a pool (preferably indoor, outdoor okay) within a 20-30 minute drive of Hershey Park?

Mentioned in this post
Hershey
Hershey
Pennsylvania
Harrisburg
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Vacation in Harrisburg/ Hershey Area - Hotels?

$80.00 a night in the Harrisburg/Hershey area in August is tough for a decent hotel. Bottom line is usually that you will get what you pay for. I searched some of the major chains and there are hotels in the outlying Harrisburg area in your price range; however, I can't offer any personal recommendations. If you search the major chains, look at the New Cumberland and Mechanicsburg areas. Depending on where in those areas, you will be at least 30 minutes from Hersheypark and traffic could be an issue.

Another area to check would be Grantville, PA. You would be about 20 minutes from Hersheypark.

There are some 2 stars hotels on Hotwire for early August.

Most of my searches are showing around $100 - $110/night at hotels that meet your requirements. If you are willing to bump up a bit, I can give you info on some of those places.

Mentioned in this post
Harrisburg
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
Hershey
Hershey
Pennsylvania
Cumberland
Cumberland
Maryland
Mechanicsburg
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
New Milford...
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Vacation in Harrisburg/ Hershey Area - Hotels?

Yikes. We're using Hotels.com for pricing - the search turns up mostly two stars and a few threes; we're usually in the market for a Holiday Inn Express or similar - something family friendly, with a pool (indoors is preferred in case of rain!)

Here's what we've come up with... any ideas?

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Harrisburg West

Ramada Limited Harrisburg

Days Inn North Harrisburg

Days Inn Carlisle

Wyndham Garden Harrisburg-Hershey

Ramada Harrisburg Hershey

I've checked out the TripAdvisor reviews - some nowhere near recent, so I'm unsure of whether to just keep the reservations we have at Wyndham Garden or try for something better.

Really, clean and quiet is more important than close to the park; we'll be touring around the Harrisburg-Hershey area quite a bit, so wherever we stay, I figure it's got to be close to SOMEthing! <G>

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Mentioned in this post
Harrisburg
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
Carlisle
Carlisle
Pennsylvania
Hershey
Hershey
Pennsylvania
Connecticut
Level Contributor
367 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Vacation in Harrisburg/ Hershey Area - Hotels?

Sometimes, you can get a deal at Comfort Suites in Grantville, PA.

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Vacation in Harrisburg/ Hershey Area - Hotels?

Some thoughts to consider on some of the hotels you have listed. Unfortunately, I have not stayed at any of them.

Days Inn, Carlisle - you would be well over 30 minutes from Hersheypark. I wouldn't recommend staying in Carlisle if your intent is to visit Hershey & Harrisburg. Any savings on the hotel room cost will be spent in gas.

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Harrisburg West - location is good, access to major highways & the turnpike but the traffic to get into Harrisburg or through to Hershey can be a real pain, especially during rush hours. Safe location and the property looks well kept from the outside.

Ramada Harrisburg Hershey - if it is the 300 N. Mountain Road location, the location is excellent, tons of services, stores, restaurants, etc in the area, It right off Interstate 81 and an easy drive to Hersheypark.

Days Inn North Harrisburg - located off Interstate 81 in a fairly safe area. There are a few restaurants and services in the area. It would give you good access to the Hershey and Harrisburg.

If you all ready have reservations at the Wyndham Gardens, you will be conveniently located in a good area for services, restaurants, and stores. It is an easy drive to Hersheypark and downtown Harrisburg.

Mentioned in this post
Carlisle
Carlisle
Pennsylvania
Hershey
Hershey
Pennsylvania
Harrisburg
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
Hersheypark
Hersheypark
6,421 Reviews
Hershey, PA
New Milford...
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family Vacation in Harrisburg/ Hershey Area - Hotels?

Thank you SO much - your advice has been invaluable! Any "must see" places other than Hershey Park and ZooAmerica? Should we try for Indian Echo Caverns or Penn's Cave - or both? And how's the Wolf Center? (Can you tell we're a nature and critter sort of family?)

Mentioned in this post
Hershey
Hershey
Pennsylvania
Indian Echo Caverns
Indian Echo Caverns
726 Reviews
Hummelstown, PA
PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family Vacation in Harrisburg/ Hershey Area - Hotels?

I would definitely visit Indian Echo Caverns. Penn's Cave is on my own "to see" list so I am unable to tell you anything about it.

If you are a nature family, you might enjoy a visit to Harrisburg’s Wildwood Lake Sanctuary. It is a scenic wetland home to rare birds, delicate flowers, amphibians, and animals; the Olwine Nature Center has exhibits. (http://www.wildwoodlake.org/).

Lake Tobias Wildlife Park in Halifax offers a safari tour and petting zoo. It is about a half hour drive north of Harrisburg. ( http://www.laketobias.com/)

If you are looking for a break from the HersheyPark scene, there are two family mini golf centers in the area worth checking out – Adventure Sports (http://www.adventurehershey.com/) and Challenge Family Fun Center (http://www.challengefamilyfun.com/). Challenge is at the entrance to Indian Echo Caverns.

Also in Harrisburg, you can ride the “Pride of the Susquehanna” riverboat on City Island, play Water Golf, take a horse drawn carriage ride, or catch a Harrisburg Senators minor league baseball game. (www.harrisburgpa.gov/parksRec/cityIsland/).

Mentioned in this post
Indian Echo Caverns
Indian Echo Caverns
726 Reviews
Hummelstown, PA
Harrisburg
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
Wildwood
Wildwood
Cape May County, NJ
Lake Tobias Wildlife Park
Lake Tobias Wildlife Park
412 Reviews
Halifax, PA
Halifax
Halifax
Halifax Region, Canada
Pride of the Susquehanna
Pride of the Susquehanna
202 Reviews
Harrisburg, PA
City Island
City Island
277 Reviews
Harrisburg, PA
7. Re: Family Vacation in Harrisburg/ Hershey Area - Hotels?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 11:20