We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Zealand for 2 weeks in March - how much should we take?

Pakenham, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
1 helpful vote
New Zealand for 2 weeks in March - how much should we take?

My partner and I are planning a trip to NZ in March 2018 for 2 weeks. We are going to Airbnb most of our accommodation in advance and will stay two nights in each location and day trip out. I am planning on getting places with kitchens to reduce eating out costs. We are hiring a car and plan to spend 2-3 days in the North Idland before catching the ferry to the South Island and touring down for the rest of the time. We are planning a few pricey things (jet boat ride, guided day hike into Routeburn Track) but mostly site seeing. How much money would people recommend we take?

4 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,904 posts
162 reviews
112 helpful votes
1. Re: New Zealand for 2 weeks in March - how much should we take?

This might be best asked in the NZ forum. I have no doubt some of us will contribute with some info as well.

I was there 10 months ago but I was on a cruise so I didn't have to spend too much each day.

Oz
Level Contributor
15,417 posts
50 reviews
27 helpful votes
2. Re: New Zealand for 2 weeks in March - how much should we take?

Hi,

You will find food and drink about the same price as Australia, groceries and consumables more but you win on the exchange rate.

Budget the same as you would for a driving holiday in Australia and add on the activities and excursions.

BTW if you visit in winter skiing is cheaper, better and far less crowded than Oz.

Cheers,

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
15,052 posts
45 reviews
135 helpful votes
3. Re: New Zealand for 2 weeks in March - how much should we take?

Hi Katie,

We found prices in NZ similar to what they are in Australia. Instead of bringing all of the money that you think you'll need, can you use an ATM card to withdraw $ from bank ATM's? To calculate the amount needed, suggest making a list of the cost of your major activities, plus an estimate of what you think you'll need for daily spending ... food, beverages, car fuel, shopping, etc.

Are you flying to Wellington on the NI? (If Auckland, then best to allow more than 2 or 3 days for the NI.)

The NZ forum would be a good place to post questions....lots of helpful posters there.

Enjoy :)

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
18,421 posts
170 reviews
126 helpful votes
4. Re: New Zealand for 2 weeks in March - how much should we take?

It is easy to work out the cost of car hire, accommodation and planned activities, by going to relevant websites for this things. Then, work out the cost of food using Aussie prices. Always safe to add 15-20% and you will be close.

Reply to: New Zealand for 2 weeks in March - how much should we take?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Huskisson
Recent Conversations