We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Falling Water from Pittsburgh

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Falling Water from Pittsburgh

I've been traveling to Pittsburgh for work and it appears I will be doing more of it. I've been to some great places and next week plan to catch a game at PNC Park.

But I'm thinking of including on one of my upcomming trips to get to Falling Water. Is the only way to get there by rental car? I don't usually rent a car since I stay and work downtown and have been able to get around easily by foot, cab or hotel shuttle. Is there any public transportation or tour group that will get me to Falling Water? If rental car is only option, is it an easy drive? I'm from Houston so I'm used to traffic but don't particularly enjoy driving in cities I'm not familar with if I can help it.

Mentioned in this post
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
PNC Park
PNC Park
5,507 Reviews
Pittsburgh, PA
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Private Pittsburgh City Tour
83 Reviews
from US$75.00*
Free Cancellation
90 MINUTE SIGHTSEEING TROLLEY TOUR
from US$25.00*
Free Cancellation
Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Falling Water from Pittsburgh

I couldn't find any bus tours from Pittsburgh that go to Fallingwater, but if you can drive in Houston, you can drive to Fallingwater. It is an easy 90 minute drive from Pittsburgh, and you get on the Parkway quite easily from downtown (I-376 heading east towards Monroeville) and then take the PA Turnpike east to the Donegal exit and wind around some country roads to Fallingwater. You won't have much city driving to do. Here are the directions on the Fallingwater website:

fallingwater.org/15/map-and-driving-directio…

The simplest entrance on to the Parkway from downtown is at the end of Grant Street, just after crossing the Boulevard of the Allies. Some of the other entrance ramps from town are a bit confusing. When you pick up the rental car, just have them give you directions through town that way and you'll be fine.

Here is a good map of downtown Pittsburgh, in case you don't already have one:

downtownpittsburgh.com/_files/docs/dtme_map_…

Fallingwater is well worth the trip and I hope you'll find the driving is not the hassle I know it can be. I'm still recovering emotionally from driving in Houston almost two years ago!

Mentioned in this post
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
Fallingwater
Fallingwater
2,286 Reviews
Mill Run, PA
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Monroeville
Monroeville
Pennsylvania
Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Falling Water from Pittsburgh

I'm afraid that the best transportation to Falling Water is by rental car. You can pick up reasonable rental over a weekend at the airport. But, you'll enjoy Falling Water!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Falling Water from Pittsburgh

Thanks for all the quick information - rental car it is. I'm sure I can get there easily. Especially if I get a car with gps. Now I just have to wait for some upcoming meetings to get officially scheduled so I can plan to stay over a Saturday and visit Falling Water. I'm a huge architecure fan so I don't want to miss it while I'm so close to it.

Thanks again!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
367 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Falling Water from Pittsburgh

When you know your schedule, go to the Fallingwater web site and get your tickets ahead of time. You can't just walk in and expect to tour.

Mentioned in this post
Fallingwater
Fallingwater
2,286 Reviews
Mill Run, PA
Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Falling Water from Pittsburgh

Kentuck Knob is another FLW house not too far away, and worth visiting too.

I like the cafe at Fallingwater, you could plan to eat there. Good gift shop too.

Mentioned in this post
Kentuck Knob
Kentuck Knob
523 Reviews
Chalk Hill, PA
Fallingwater
Fallingwater
2,286 Reviews
Mill Run, PA
6. Re: Falling Water from Pittsburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 November 2010, 15:16