We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting vs. Buying Beach Chairs for IOP Stay?

Branchburg, New...
Level Contributor
81 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Renting vs. Buying Beach Chairs for IOP Stay?

My husband & I will be staying on IOP during the first week of June. It won't be possible for us to bring our own beach chairs since we are flying down. We've checked into renting chairs from the IOP Beach Chair Co. - but for 6 days, the price including tax comes to $132. Seems to me we could buy two beach chairs & an umbrella for cheaper than this! Can anyone recommend a place on the way from the airport to IOP where we could buy beach chairs at a reasonable price?

Charleston’s Old South Carriage...
628 Reviews
from US$26.00*
Free Cancellation
Charleston Harbor History Tour
407 Reviews
from US$27.56*
Downtown Charleston Culinary Tour
163 Reviews
from US$65.00*
Free Cancellation
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting vs. Buying Beach Chairs for IOP Stay?

Just across I-526 from the airport, turn left at the first red light (across from the convention center) and it will take you to Walmart and Sam's Club. The road will curve past the outlet mall and plenty of fast food/chain restaurants. Walmart will be on the left.

charleston,sc
Level Contributor
332 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting vs. Buying Beach Chairs for IOP Stay?

Also on the way out and just off the IOP connector before you reach the bridge is a shopping center with a Target store (Piggly Wiggly is there too in case you need groceries). About a quarter mile before you reach the Target is a shop on the right called Waves. Tons of beach stuff so that's an option too.

Branchburg, New...
Level Contributor
81 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting vs. Buying Beach Chairs for IOP Stay?

Thank you for your suggestions!

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
482 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting vs. Buying Beach Chairs for IOP Stay?

If you are renting a house or condo, they typically have beach chairs, umbrella's, beach toys, etc. stored somewhere on premises. Some of the homes have bicycles. Check with your rental management before you buy.

Waves (or even Target) will be quicker and easier to get in & out of vs. the Walmart at Tanger - and convienently located just across the IOP Connector.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting vs. Buying Beach Chairs for IOP Stay?

If you are a member of Sam's, bring your car for filling up the car before returning it in the airport. Their gas station is less expensive than most in the area.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting vs. Buying Beach Chairs for IOP Stay?

Just curious what you'd do with the chairs when you're finished. Our beaches are free but we, the locals, pay taxes pay to have things removed from the beaches that people leave behind. Renting also helps someone who is in business stay in business (locals wouldn't rent) and is a form of "recycling". The quality of what you get when you rent is usually way better than any chair you don't want to spend money on at Walgreens or Walmart. Besides the fact that it is illegal to leave anything on the beach.

Just sayin'.

Branchburg, New...
Level Contributor
81 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting vs. Buying Beach Chairs for IOP Stay?

You raise a good point. We certainly would not leave garbage of any sort on any beach. We'd probably see if we could give the chairs away to some locals (or leave them in the unit we are renting for the next set of visitors). We are also very supportive of local business, but that does not mean I am going to give them my business if I feel the price of their services/products are unreasonable. Thanks for your input.

charleston,sc
Level Contributor
332 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Renting vs. Buying Beach Chairs for IOP Stay?

If you choose to purchase and decide not to leave them at your rental house then another option is to drop them off at Goodwill on your way out of town. It is located about a mile off the IOP connector. Have a great trip.

Branchburg, New...
Level Contributor
81 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Renting vs. Buying Beach Chairs for IOP Stay?

So - I have another question. Someone told me that if you rent the chairs - you can only use them in a small area of the beach where the rental company is desinated to use. Is this true? Also - same person advised that you can't take the chairs with you if you want to go visit another beach - i.e., if we want to go the Beachwalker Park in Kaiwah or to Folly Beach. Is this true?

Mentioned in this post
Folly Beach
Folly Beach
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,076 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Renting vs. Buying Beach Chairs for IOP Stay?

Most of the rental companies set up the chairs in the morning and take them away at the end of the day. Some of them deliver and remove the chairs and umbrellas by truck, and no one wants multiple trucks driving over all areas of the beach. The business arrangement allows them to operate their rentals in designated areas. In any case, the rental chairs and umbrellas are too large and sturdy for you to cart them around to different locations.