We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time visit

Titusville, Florida
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
first time visit

My husband and I are coming in Thursday for 5 days for my bday trip. Ive read all the forum topics and FAQs and reviews, etc. My main questions are we are looking for the most comprehensive guided tour be it a carriage, walking, bus, whatever. We like to take a tour first and get the lay of the land so to speak right off. Also my husband has talked of nothing but eating at Hyman's but in all the other forum topics about restaurants I have yet to see anybody really mention this one. Any honest opinions please. Also, I think i know most of what else we want to see or do while we are there but if you locals have any non-touristy, out of the way, off the beaten path places to see, eat at or do. Thank you so much for all your help in advance!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
12,857 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time visit

All the places that you see us suggest are really the places that we eat, go to, etc. I never suggest places that I have not been too and/or places that I don't like personally. I think Hyman's is nothing but a tourist trap. The food is average and they herd people in and out. Some people say they like it, but I am certainly not one of them.

Charleston
Level Contributor
469 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first time visit

I haven't been to Hyman's since 1999 because my grouper had bones in it! But, if you are coming for 5 days, eating there one time won't kill you and may keep peace in the family.

For what "the locals do", check out The City Paper, a free and event driven weekly paper, for the different charitable events being held. These events are usually A+ and a great bang for the buck, since they need a good draw to get people to come.

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first time visit

If it were me, I'd do a walking tour and a carriage ride. Since the carriages are on a lottery system, you don't have any idea where the carriage is taking you unless you do a private tour. I learned more walking around on my own and purchasing a local walking tour guide at the Visitor's Center for $5.00. The carriage ride is nice if it's hot and you don't want to walk but you may miss some things depending on where the carriage takes you.

4. Re: first time visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 July 2011, 06:05
Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first time visit

I agree with AA - there is much to be said about keeping peace and Hyman's does have its pluses so enjoy. Plus, you'll have 4 other meals to have elsewhere and you'll be able to compare. Save the bday dinner for someplace special - you've seen the places suggested on our forum. Have a great time and Happy Birthday!

tracy ca
Level Contributor
35 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first time visit

We will be in Charleston in a week and want to take a walking tour.Is there one that is better? We are staying at the Best Western Charles Inn.

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Coastal South Carolina, SC
7. Re: first time visit

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2011, 17:48
tracy ca
Level Contributor
35 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: first time visit

Have you heard of Charleston Strolls? I think it was on the Heritage web site.Thank you for the help.I also asked on another post what plantations we could see on our way from Myrtle Beach to Charleston.We are really getting excited to see your city.

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
9. Re: first time visit

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2011, 17:48
Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
10,015 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: first time visit

Ed Grimball has a great walking tour, but if you go for it, allow an extra hour or so, he doesn't hurry it along and fits in quite a lot. Ed encourages lots of questions (and we had a very inquisitive group!!!), so it may take a little longer than advertised on the website.