We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which beach for 1/2 day: Isle of Palms, Kiawah or Folly?

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
67 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
which beach for 1/2 day: Isle of Palms, Kiawah or Folly?

Wanting a half day to relax at beach with husband on Sept. 3 (saturday) before heading back into charleston on last day of my trip to Savannah/Charleston. I am very picky about beaches... but I know there won't be white sand and clear water. So, need some advice

can someone suggest one of the 3 beaches? I've seen some other forums, but they don't focus as much on the quality of the beach, or places that are public that you can go hang out.

I appreciate everyone's time in advance!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
12,959 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which beach for 1/2 day: Isle of Palms, Kiawah or Folly?

Well, considering that Kiawah is 40-60 min from Charlston, depending on traffic, time of day, etc - I would rule that one out for a half day visit.

The sand at IOP and Sullivan's will be light in color (but not sugar white), both beaches are very clean and primarily family oriented. There is an area on IOP referred to as "front beach" that has the county parking, several restaurants and shops right adjacent to the beach. Then you could go purchase a snack or beverage if you wish, also there are changing and shower facilities available to rinse off before leaving.

On Sullivan's there is no such area, you just park on the street and walk to the beach. (on an approved beach access pathway)

On Folly the sand is a bit darker and the water is a little rougher, many people choose Folly for surfing. They allow alcohol on the beach, so get more of the college crowd. (only in approved containers, no glass)

All are about 20 min (or more, depending on traffic, time of day, etc) from downtown. On Sat and Sun, traffic can be intense, an hour or more to get there.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which beach for 1/2 day: Isle of Palms, Kiawah or Folly?

This article was just posted on the local Channel 2 News (NBC) site: …counton2.com/news/… and is really pro-Isle of Palms

charleston,sc
Level Contributor
332 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which beach for 1/2 day: Isle of Palms, Kiawah or Folly?

Isle of Palms or Sullivan's

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
10,077 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which beach for 1/2 day: Isle of Palms, Kiawah or Folly?

I would have to agree w/the above, IOP would be your best bet, much as I love Kiawah and Beachwalker Park is very nice, it's too far to venture for a short half day visit.

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which beach for 1/2 day: Isle of Palms, Kiawah or Folly?

As much as I love Kiawah too, it's been my experience that Kiawah's water can be muddy looking at times--they tend to get some backwash from the marsh. I don't mind it but I think you might be disappointed on that count. It's a beautiful place though.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which beach for 1/2 day: Isle of Palms, Kiawah or Folly?

To clarify - no beaches near marshes will be crystal clear. You won't be able to snorkel at the beach here but you will enjoy "perfect" waves, warm water, great beaches. and view beautiful birds and dolphins. To get to the clear, snorkeling water you have to take a boat out to the offshore reefs. Not that far to go but it would be a 1/2 day excursion at least.

Here is the most ridiculous article I've ever read - full of misinformation. ehow.com/about_4603138_snorkeling-south-caro… Goes to show you can't believe everything you see on the internet.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
67 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which beach for 1/2 day: Isle of Palms, Kiawah or Folly?

Thank you all for your posts!! It seems like Isle of Palms might be our best bet, as I prefer more calm clearer waters.. I won't be snorkeling, I'll be about 8 months pregnant. Might just pop in the water, and go for a few walks.

Eating is very important, so if you all can suggest any funky, not necessarily polished places to grab a bite that represents the area, I'm very appreciative of any advice. We won't be able to splurge, and when we travel we typically find the place "locals" like to eat regardless of how it looks....

Thank you so much everyone! I am so thankful you're helping me!

-Leah

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: which beach for 1/2 day: Isle of Palms, Kiawah or Folly?

You are so right about that article, CultureHound. I believed Ms. Prontes phoned that one in from a comfortable couch.

Pull4ud, if you like Indian food and you happen by Taste of India

(851 Savannah Highway), go in for the lunch buffet. It is reasonable and the food is excellent! http://www.tasteofindiacharleston.com/

Edited: 01 July 2011, 12:06
Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
10,077 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: which beach for 1/2 day: Isle of Palms, Kiawah or Folly?

Check out Poe's Tavern on Sullivan Island.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
482 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: which beach for 1/2 day: Isle of Palms, Kiawah or Folly?

I agree about IOP for the sand and water…HOWEVER…Sept. 3 (Labor Day w/e) will be packed like sardines, especially around Front Beach. If pull4ud is looking for a relaxing experience, she won’t find it there unless they go late, late in the day as the majority start packing up & heading out around 5 p.m. Although the beach isn’t pristine, one would have better luck finding a more serene environment at Sullivan’s Island. Poe’s Restaurant will also be packed to the gills (always is), Home Team BBQ is across the street and is very good, but not seafood. Sullivan’s restaurant is pretty good and very reasonably priced. I can’t think of the name of the one between Dunleavy’s & High Thyme, is it Off The Hook? I’ve only eaten brunch there, but it was divine both times.