We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Myrtle Beach Road Trip

1 post
Save Topic
Myrtle Beach Road Trip

We are taking a trip from Wisconsin to Myrtle Beach and looking for a neat place to spend one night on the way any recommendations?

7 replies to this topic
Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
Level Contributor
3,916 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Myrtle Beach Road Trip

Dollywood is a great place to spend an evening! https://www.dollywood.com

Kentucky
Level Contributor
519 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Myrtle Beach Road Trip

How many hours do you want to drive before you stop? Are you going to arrive at a time to enjoy entertainment or is it mostly just eat and sleep?

I'm a firm believer in arriving at MB around lunch time in peak season. To do that without having to get up at a crazy hour on day 2 I would at least get to southern KY or maybe even the Newport TN or Asheville NC area. Southern Kentucky would probably be about 7.5 from MB. I would personally try to push it a little farther if possible.

Madison, Wisconsin
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Myrtle Beach Road Trip

I'm hoping to be drive 10 to 12 hrs the 1st day and get to our stop by 2 to 3 pm and have the evening to find something to do.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
519 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Myrtle Beach Road Trip

I would go to Asheville and tour Biltmore. That area should be aroud 12 hours into your drive. It's not off the route and something you can probably do in a couple of hours, then eat dinner and rest up. If traveling into MB on a Saturday between now and mid -August I would suggest getting an early start on Saturday morning and getting to MB around noon for lunch. You will avoid most of the traffic that way. Asheville should put your roughly 5 hours from the beach.

Edited: 13 June 2018, 09:25
Myrtle Beach, South...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,708 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Myrtle Beach Road Trip

Agree with Bob T. My wife and I love Biltmore. There is also the Carolina Hotel in Pinehurst.It was built in 1895.The little village of Pinehurst is only two streets and is a nice stop. The golf clubhouse is rich in history with the Pinehurst #2 course hosting a couple of U.S.Opens.Myrtle Beach is about 2 hrs. away.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Myrtle Beach Road Trip

If you are looking for a halfway point to stop, you should spend the night in southern Kentucky, specifically around Corbin. There, you could tour the first KFC restaurant and Cumberland Falls. If you are looking to get as far as you can the first day to find a good place to rest, you could stop in East Tennessee.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
519 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Myrtle Beach Road Trip

Corbin Ky. would probably be about the halfway point. You could even take 25 E in Corbin over to Morristown, TN and hit I-81 over to I-40. Will save you a few miles and let you bypass Knoxville, TN.

Reply to: Myrtle Beach Road Trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted