We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NC beaches suggestions from MB

New Orleans...
6 posts
Save Topic
NC beaches suggestions from MB

Hi there,

We will be staying in Myrtle Beach for 4 days in July. We are planning to drive to North Carolina to check one of the close beaches (distance 1 hours or so drive). What NC beach is worth the visit? Are they different from MB? Any scenic drive? ... family oriented beach.

Thank you in advance :)

Mentioned in this post
Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
Coastal South Carolina, SC
North Carolina
North Carolina
United States
7 replies to this topic
Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
10,737 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NC beaches suggestions from MB

Look at a map. The closest NC beaches would be Sunset, Ocean Isle, Holden and Oak Island. VERY different from MB! Quieter, more laid back, not nearly as commercialized or "touristy" as MB.

Oak Island is about an hour and 15 minute drive from the middle of MB.

Edited: 12 June 2018, 23:49
Mentioned in this post
Ocean Isle Beach
Ocean Isle Beach
North Carolina
Holden Beach
Holden Beach
North Carolina Coast, NC
Oak Island
Oak Island
North Carolina Coast, NC
New Orleans...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: NC beaches suggestions from MB

Thanks Beachlady3 for your reply. Yes, i saw the mames on the map, but i was looking for recommendations. I'll check the pictures and read more about the names you suggested :)

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
630 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NC beaches suggestions from MB

The beaches in Brunswick County NC are nothing like Myrtle. Very underdeveloped and quiet and I like them very much. There are a lot of things to explore there depending on your curiosity level. Bald Head Island and the aquarium at Fort Fisher are 20 minute or so ferry ride from Southport. The only route from MB is highway 17 which isn't very scenic but it's about an hour give or take from Myrtle.

Mentioned in this post
Brunswick
Brunswick
Golden Isles of Georgia, GA
Bald Head Island
Bald Head Island
North Carolina Coast, NC
Southport
Southport
North Carolina Coast, NC
Wake Forest, NC
Level Contributor
936 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NC beaches suggestions from MB

Southport is a neat little town to visit, but for us, it is Sunset Beach....Park the car and take walk down to the Kindred Spirts Mail box (google it)....Very nice and peaceful place to visit.

Mentioned in this post
Southport
Southport
North Carolina Coast, NC
Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
10,737 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NC beaches suggestions from MB

You could go up to Southport and wander around there for a bit. (about an hour and 20 minute drive from MB) It is a very neat, quaint town, not on the ocean though...but does have gorgeous views of the Cape Fear River. Back track to some of the other beaches mentioned. I would go to Ocean Isle and then to Sunset Beach. (I've been a bit fascinated with that Kindred Spirits mailbox mentioned above) You can get from one to the other without having to go up to Hwy 17.

Mentioned in this post
Southport
Southport
North Carolina Coast, NC
Cape Fear River
Cape Fear River
201 Reviews
Wilmington, NC
Ocean Isle Beach
Ocean Isle Beach
North Carolina
New Orleans...
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: NC beaches suggestions from MB

Thank you all for your suggestions! I guess we'll go with the Sunset Beach. I'd love to check out that special Mailbox.

Also, could you please tell me if there is any "Welcome to North Carolina" sign at the SC/NC Boarders either on 17 or 179? DD loves taking a picture at every new state we visit :)

Mentioned in this post
North Carolina
North Carolina
United States
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
760 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NC beaches suggestions from MB

Yes there is a sign on 17. Sunset is a good choice and the closest.

Reply to: NC beaches suggestions from MB
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;