We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chicago to Myrtle Beach - driving

Chicago
Level Contributor
519 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Chicago to Myrtle Beach - driving

We are going to MB July 19th and right now air fare is REALLY expensive. If prices don't come down, we are thinking about driving. Has anyone driven from Chicago to MB? how was the drive? did you stop over anywhere along the way? Were there any must sees along the way?

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,034 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chicago to Myrtle Beach - driving

Do you belong to AAA? If so, you should probably consult them for a "TripTik", so you can sort out the route and the possible stops.

The trip is about 950 miles, or 15 hours driving time. Louisville, KY, is along the route. You will also go near the Great Smokey Mountains National Park (border of Tennessee and North Carolina).

Another suggestion: Once you have sorted out the route, post your question on the Chigcago forum, as well as the local forums for the states you will travel through. You will no doubt get lots of suggestions for interesting stops.

Mentioned in this post
Louisville
Louisville
Kentucky
Tennessee
Tennessee
United States
North Carolina
North Carolina
United States
Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,384 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chicago to Myrtle Beach - driving

Depends on how much you enjoy driving.

When you consider you will probably spend $250. or more on gas & four days driving plus two overnight accomodations (or two "double shift" days) it may be well worth your while to keep an eye out for discount airfares.

Often you just have to keep checking & be ready to act quickly when a promotional fare is announced.

Our drive is 8 to 9 hours & that's about my limit...any further & I'd be flying no matter what!

IL
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Chicago to Myrtle Beach - driving

So did you end up driving to MB? I live in the Chicago area and thought about driving to MB to this summer for vacation. How was the drive?

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
louisville, Ky
Level Contributor
116 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chicago to Myrtle Beach - driving

Spirit arilines often has airfare from there to myrtle beach on sale for really cheap. Right now, for several different days, they have roundtrip flights for $18 bucks each way.

Sign up for there emails, and you will get notice of each of there sales, plus coupon codes. I live in KY, but will drive to chicago just to fly on spirit since its so cheap. They only allow you to have 1 carry on , and 1 checked bag though, unless you want to pay for the extra one.

Its super cheap though.

If I was driving from chicago, I would come down 65 south into louisville ky [about 4 hours, pit stop], then get on 64E to 75 , around gatlinburg TN [ another 4 hrs in, pit stop] the you will drive thru the mountians thru north carolina for about 2-3 hrs, the you will reach the south carolina border, then its about 3 hrs to the beach. The last 3 hrs is LOOONG though, stop at Bojangles for breakfast.

We always drive it at night,since theres no traffic then, but some people don't like to drive thru the mountians in the dark, it doesn't bother us though.

Driving should take you roughly 14 hrs give or take.

It takes us 11 hrs, but that includes stopping for gas and food.

Chicago is about 4 hrs from us, so dependng on how you drive....

If you wanted to take a few days getting there, I would stop in seymore IN at the outlest malls, then spend the night in a cheapo hotel in KY [ 30 bucks a night] then I would spend a night in gatlinburg TN,

Then I would spend a night at the Biltmore [ NC] then I would arrive at myrtle beach. Or split them up on the way down and the way back.

Gatlinburg and the Biltmore would be the big two in my mind.

Mentioned in this post
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
chgo
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Chicago to Myrtle Beach - driving

Great advice,,,,,thx for taking the time to post local Valuable! travel info,,from hammond/chicago,,,god bless you and yours,,and kudos to you,,,,,,siniastz/yahoo,,,,,,,,,,,,,ill send ya pix!,,,,,,,,,,,,email me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,tim the tool man,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Chesapeake, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chicago to Myrtle Beach - driving

15 hrs for me is just a normal day I'm usually up 17-18 sometimes 19 - 20 hrs anyway and I like to drive.

We only have an 8 hour drive but to me that's just a normal days time in the office and I would rather be driving than sitting behind a desk lol but that's just me. I also don't like not having my own car. I have a large SUV so renting one is extremely expensive and I'm not willing to comp on my comfort and for MB you have to have a car. So after you add that in it's never no matter how cheap the airfare been to our advantage to fly in the last 5-7 yrs.

If we could get a cheap rate - until 2 yrs ago we had to drive a min of 2 hrs to a larger airport most of the time it was 3 hours so that just kills it for me it's kinda like if I have to drive 3 hours whats a few more.

Anyway, we don't usually stop anywhere even when we make trips to Fla but going to MB I must agree with the above poster that Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge would be a good stop. The Biltmore is great also.

I'm sure it depends on the route that you take what all there is to do on the way.

We only do highways no 2 lane roads or things like that. I want to get in the car and get to where I am going. It's soooo bad that since we have a 42 gallon tank I don't have to stop until I get to MB. The kids think it's funny. I'll pack snacks and sandwiches, then we leave in the weeee hours(most of the time or evening tme when we are going to Fla)sooo that the kids will sleep (mine are great travelers and sleepers so that works great for me), there is usually only one stop and thats a really fast bathroom break then right back on the road.

Anyway, hope everyone has a great time in MB

Mentioned in this post
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
Pigeon Forge
Pigeon Forge
Sevier County, TN
IL
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Chicago to Myrtle Beach - driving

Brandys0524,

Thanks so much for your info! After looking at Spirit's airfare, we are deciding to fly! :) Less than $650 for my family of four nonstop ROUNDTRIP!! YEH!! I really don't like to drive that long of a time period (15 hours). My husband and I often get sleepy driving for long periods of time and that is not good...MUCH nicer and FASTER to fly!! More time on the beach for us! THANKS!!

Chesapeake, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chicago to Myrtle Beach - driving

since you are flying and will have to have a car at MB,be sure to check out priceline and some of the others on rental car prices. Have heard that there have been some really great rates out there.

illinois
Level Contributor
37 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chicago to Myrtle Beach - driving

Hi,

We're from Libertyville,IL. We drove to Myrtle Beach two years ago, and stopped in Ashville TN. The drive was not as long as it was scary. Don't get me wrong, the scenery was beautiful, but the roads are steep and winding. We drove a Dodge Caravan and I was afraid we were going to blow the transmission. You travel through the Smokey's and the roads climb, climb. climb, then drop. We're flying this year, We are flying into Charleston and driving @ 2 hours to the beach. Airfare to Charleston was less then $200

round trip. You will love Myrtle!!

Have fun,

Patti j

Mentioned in this post
Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Asheville
Asheville
North Carolina Mountains, NC
Charleston
Charleston
Coastal South Carolina, SC
illinois
Level Contributor
37 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chicago to Myrtle Beach - driving

Sorry, I just read al the messages and saw you wer flying! You got a great airfare! If you have not rented a car yet, try Hotwire.