We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from Chicago to Myrtle Beach

Illinois
Level Contributor
33 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling from Chicago to Myrtle Beach

Hi, we are traveling from the Chicago area to Myrtle Beach & I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a mid-way point to stop & stay overnight. Thanks for any suggestions!

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
Coastal South Carolina, SC
IL
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling from Chicago to Myrtle Beach

We were also going to be traveling to Myrtle Beach from Chicago driving, but after finding such great airfare through Spirit, we are now flying. I will actually be booking the flights today and the total airfare should be around $650 for my family of four...roundtrip nonstop!! Great deal...you should check it out!

Mentioned in this post
Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Illinois
Level Contributor
33 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling from Chicago to Myrtle Beach

Thanks for the airfare info however my husband is petrified of flying so we have to drive.

Anyone else with any suggestions?

Chesapeake, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling from Chicago to Myrtle Beach

Don't know what route you will be taking but Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge would be a nice stop. Ashville, you could go to the Biltmore. Again without knowing what route you are taking and since we only have around an 8 hr drive on I'm sure different route than you will be going but if you know the way you are planning on traveling ?????????

Mentioned in this post
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
Pigeon Forge
Pigeon Forge
Sevier County, TN
Geneva, Illinois
Level Contributor
165 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling from Chicago to Myrtle Beach

Hi there

We are driving to Myrtle Beach (from Chicago) in July. We have also driven to Hilton Head several times, which is exactly the same distance. For us, the best place to stop on the way down is Knoxville. That will allow you to drive 600 miles on the first day and then 400 on Day 2, allowing you to get to your hotel by check-in time.

On the way back, we will stop in Lexington, Ky, once again about 600 miles into the trip home.

We always stay at Country Inn and Suites since we have 3 kids and like the separate bedroom area (plus free breakfast!). We have reservations at both for under $100/night.

Mentioned in this post
Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Hilton Head
Hilton Head
Knoxville
Knoxville
Tennessee
Lexington
Lexington
Kentucky
Geneva, Illinois
Level Contributor
165 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling from Chicago to Myrtle Beach

$650 is definitely a good deal, but don't forget the other costs that you will have to incur:

1) Parking/travel to O'hare (or whichever airport you are flying out of (Hopefully you have family members that can drive you!)

2) A rental car will run about an extra $300-$400 at a minimum.

I like the speed of flying, but with 3 kids 6 and under (and the amount of crap my wife packs!) the driving trip is easier for us. Our rule is anything under 1000 miles, we drive.

Have fun!

6. Re: Traveling from Chicago to Myrtle Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2009, 14:17