We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent or Uber

Level Contributor
130 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Rent or Uber

I've never spent anytime in Myrtle Beach so my wife and I booked cheap flights and found good rates at the North Beach Plantation for the 1st week of May.Not really looking into exploring the area but more into relaxing near the pools and beach. We'll need to grocery shop,probably eat out few nights and not much more. I haven't looked into rental car yet because I didn't know if it was necessary. Is anyone familiar with the property and have an opinion if a rental is better Uber. Also what would be the Uber cost to and from the airport? If that is half of what I can rent for or so it might help my decision. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
Coastal South Carolina, SC
North Beach Plantation
North Beach Plantation
3,099 Reviews
North Myrtle Beach, SC
4 replies to this topic
charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,985 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rent or Uber

Rent.

Uber might be cheaper getting to and from airport but over all, rental car would be more convenient.

Google the area. What many people call Myrtle Beach is actually a 60 mile section of coastline called the Grand Strand. Attractions, shopping, shows and dining scattered all along the entire length.

Visualize three sections. North Myrtle Beach(separate city from MB), Myrtle Beach and south Myrtle.(Surfside, Garden City, Murrell's Inlet)

North Beach is at south end of North Myrtle. Depending on your definition of walking distance there's little in the way of dining or groceries nearby. Yes walking out and across 6-8 lanes of Rt 17 is possible but.....Why?

Broadway At The Beach, Brookgreen Gardens, dinner shows.....Much easier to fit into schedule with a car vs calling and waiting for a ride.....

Mentioned in this post
Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
Grand Strand
Grand Strand
472 Reviews
Myrtle Beach, SC
North Myrtle Beach
North Myrtle Beach
Surfside Beach
Surfside Beach
Garden City Beach
Garden City Beach
Broadway at the Beach
Broadway at the Beach
7,737 Reviews
Myrtle Beach, SC
Brookgreen Gardens
Brookgreen Gardens
3,308 Reviews
Murrells Inlet, SC
Level Contributor
130 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rent or Uber

OK Thanks...Probably only going to Barefoot landing a couple evenings to walk around,,window shop and grab a bite to eat and drink. The NBP has a free shuttle there so that's not an issue.I really don't see hitting any of the Grand Strand because we are more into rest/relaxation near the beach during the day.Sorry but we drink during the day on vacation so driving isn't an option after 2-3pm.I value your opinion and appreciate it but do you still think rent is the way to go?Thanks! I wasn't really clear in my 1st post about my intentions.Hopefully 1 trip to the grocery store is all we'll need.

Mentioned in this post
Barefoot Landing
Barefoot Landing
3,332 Reviews
North Myrtle Beach, SC
Grand Strand
Grand Strand
472 Reviews
Myrtle Beach, SC
Easley, South...
Level Contributor
869 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Rent or Uber

We have not been, but I've heard great things about Flying Fish Grill in barefoot landing.Look at the reviews.We are planning to try it in the spring.

I think you will be fine with Uber.North MB is more compact than MB proper.

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
770 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rent or Uber

For what you are planning on doing, you can survive without a rental car. I would still price them out as often they have pretty good deals. You can take the shuttle to Barefoot and have a ton of choices for eating and drinks. Flying Fish is excellent and has a great happy hour(s) in the bar area. Also closer to you without crossing 17 is hamburger joes, Joes Bar and Grill(very good) also check out the raccoon bar off the back and Nacho Hippo. There is a grocery store a mile down 17 if u need to stock up one time.

Mentioned in this post
Nacho Hippo
Nacho Hippo
681 Reviews
North Myrtle Beach, SC
Reply to: Rent or Uber
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about North Myrtle Beach
Recent Conversations