We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visitor Center for Black Hills that has an overview (video)

Maryland
Level Contributor
254 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Visitor Center for Black Hills that has an overview (video)

I see there is a visitor center in Rapid City, another one for the Black Hills, another one at Mt Rushmore, another one for wildlife at Custer State Park and maybe others.

I'm looking for a visitor center that gives an overview (video) of the Black Hills area. I want one that is like the National Park videos which introduce the area. But Mt Rushmore visitor center will probably just talk about Mt. Rushmore. The visitor centers in Rapid City and Black Hills appear from the web to be full of pamphlets about commercial things to do in RC or BH. I'm not sure if the Visitor Center at Custer SP does the whole area or just the park and the wildlife loop.

Is what I want, something that exists in the Black Hills area? I don't want a video like you get on your television at a resort hotel, which just tries to sell all the restaurants, spa, massage, tennis pro, whatever. I just want to learn the cultural and natural and geographic history of the area. An overview of the area. It is always a good way to learn about an area. I know reading guide books is another way, but I don't see my 10 year old doing that.

Mentioned in this post
Rapid City
Rapid City
South Dakota
The Black Hills
The Black Hills
South Dakota
Mount Rushmore Tours
Mount Rushmore Tours
333 Reviews
Rapid City, SD
Custer State Park
Custer State Park
4,816 Reviews
Custer, SD
Custer
Custer
South Dakota
2 replies to this topic
Minnesota
Level Contributor
290 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visitor Center for Black Hills that has an overview (video)

I would suggest the Black Hills and badlands association visitors center just on the edge of Rapids City.. They have a video there, although I can be certain it's exactly what you want. You could call and ask them.

blackhillsbadlands.com/business/black-hills-…

Edited: 12 June 2018, 11:03
Mentioned in this post
The Black Hills
The Black Hills
South Dakota
Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
6,234 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visitor Center for Black Hills that has an overview (video)

I have not seen anything like this, and I am not really sure if it does exist. Maybe youtube would have something you could watch at home? Are you doing this for you, or your child?

Do you have a copy of the South Dakota travel guide that you get from travelsouthdakota.com? Maybe you and your child could review it together so he/she is involved in the trip planning??

These are just some thoughts that may or may not work for you.

Mentioned in this post
South Dakota
South Dakota
United States
Reply to: Visitor Center for Black Hills that has an overview (video)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted