We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rapid City

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
52 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Rapid City

I am going to be in Rapid City the end of August. I will be at the Microsoft Hotel on Rapp Street the first night. Can someone advise me of what sights to see around there. I will not have a car so I would appreciate any advice and details on directions to get to tourist sites by foot or public transportations?

Mentioned in this post
Rapid City
Rapid City
South Dakota
4 replies to this topic
The Black Hills...
Level Contributor
762 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rapid City

I think that's the "Microtel", not Microsoft, unless Bill Gates has branched out.

You're not going to see much around here without a car. There are bus stops close to where you're staying along LaCrosse St. It will take you downtown and that's about it. You can see the Presidential Statues down there and some stores. Watch out for aggressive panhandlers.

The real tourist sites like Mt Rushmore, Custer State Park, Wind Cave, Jewel Cave, the Badlands atc. are all way out of town. You can take a guided tour of these places, just bring money. Your hotel should have information about those and you might have to get downtown to join one.

Edited: 13 June 2018, 05:17
Mentioned in this post
Mount Rushmore Tours
Mount Rushmore Tours
347 Reviews
Rapid City, SD
Custer State Park
Custer State Park
5,031 Reviews
Custer, SD
The Black Hills...
Level Contributor
762 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rapid City

I forgot to mention that we now have Lyft but not Uber, last that I heard. A ride from Rapid City to Mt. Rushmore, for example, will be about $40, one way.

Mentioned in this post
Rapid City
Rapid City
South Dakota
Mount Rushmore Tours
Mount Rushmore Tours
347 Reviews
Rapid City, SD
Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
6,321 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rapid City

Many organized tours do leave from Rapid City hotels. However, I do highly recommend renting a car if at all possible. The tours can get expensive, so it's cheaper to do it yourself.

Mentioned in this post
Rapid City
Rapid City
South Dakota
Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
52 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rapid City

Alright thanks for your reply. It is the Microtel hotel too.

Reply to: Rapid City
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Rapid City