We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memphis areas of town

Frisco, Texas
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Memphis areas of town

Looking at hotels for a weekend Memphis trip with my mom and sons - is there a particular part of town we should stay away from regarding safety. I’ve looked at hotels in Elvis Presley Blvd but rethinking that option after reading some posts. I don’t mind driving around the city so that is not an issue. Perhaps Southaven? And advice is appreciated. Thanks!

6 replies to this topic
Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
9,378 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Memphis areas of town

Downtown is convenient for a lot of travelers because you can walk or take the trolley to a lot of restaurants, bars and attractions. If you don't want to stay downtown, I'd recommend east Memphis around Poplar/I 240 or that Southaven/Horn Lake area around I 55/Goodman Road that you mentioned.

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Memphis areas of town

Midtown is an excellent area to stay in with great neighborhoods like Overton Square, Cooper-Young, Crosstown, and the Broad Ave Arts District. There are few hotels there, but a lot of AirBnBs.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
659 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Memphis areas of town

We just stayed in the Central Garden/Cooper Young area in an Air bnb and we loved the area. Felt very safe, lots to do, and close to downtown.

Northampton
Level Contributor
30 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Memphis areas of town

Southaven is fairly convenient for Graceland if you have transport - there's a good range of hotels on Goodman or Stateline.

If you want to be nearer to Graceland you might get a good rate at the Guest House, apart from Elvis Week in August. Also there's a brand new Holiday Inn Express on EP Boulevard.

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
3,099 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Memphis areas of town

The largest concentration of attractions, restaurants, hotels and pubs for visitors is in the Downtown area where you easily walk to most destinations. Safety is little issue during daylight hours and into the early evening. Uber is timely and cheap for Graceland or Zoo/Midtown districts.

Tombstone, Arizona
Level Contributor
939 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Memphis areas of town

Frisco: The safety factor is best encountered by not drifting off the path alone, especially during the evening hours. Always keep in the flow of the rest of the visitors and in the crowded areas and they are the safest mode to be in. This is true of a lot of our big cities here and in the Memphis area.

Hope all your travels are safe ones, the weather and the people cooperate and everything you see and do more than fulfill your most vivid imagination.

Reply to: Memphis areas of town
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted