We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Breakfast near the airport

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
35 posts
202 reviews
Breakfast near the airport

I will be arriving in town late and night and want to start the day off right. Where is a good place to go for breakfast near the airport?

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
9,423 posts
307 reviews
1. Re: Breakfast near the airport

Not sure if you're saying you want breakfast late at night when you arrive or want breakfast the next morning. Either way, dining options near the airport aren't good and dining near the airport at night would be a dangerous idea as its not the nicest area of town.

As for breakfast in the Memphis area, I always suggest Brother Junipers, near the U of M and about 15 minutes from the airport or Blue Plate with a couple of locations in town, depending on where you are headed after breakfast. Neither of these places is open all night. You're only breakfast options late at night would be something like a Perkins, IHOP, etc.

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
123 reviews
2. Re: Breakfast near the airport

The above suggestions are good, even Perkins, a chain brand headquartered in Memphis is a good choice in this city. I would also add The Cupboard, a Memphis tradition, located at Union Av. and Cleveland St. for a memorable breakfast or lunch. It won't be open in the middle of the night, however.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
35 posts
202 reviews
3. Re: Breakfast near the airport

I'm sorry if I was unclear with my message. I was looking for somewhere close to the airport the morning after I arrive.

Thanks!

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
9,423 posts
307 reviews
4. Re: Breakfast near the airport

Either way, my suggestions would be the same; any of the places I listed would be open for breakfast. Dining options near the airport aren't that great.

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
5. Re: Breakfast near the airport

<<dining near the airport at night would be a dangerous idea>>

What an extreme statement. Do you really believe that? Exactly what do you believe will happen if the poster goes there?

Edited: 21 October 2010, 03:37
Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
123 reviews
6. Re: Breakfast near the airport

The Airport area isn't a "take your life in your hands" neighborhood to visit, however Raines Av. which runs a block or two in front of the airport property is similar to Van Buren St. in Phoenix in that over the years if a person who was so inclined wanted to visit a strip club or attend an afternoon "Tea Dance" before hubby came home or procure a companion of all sorts, that would be where they would go - maybe not so close to the airport. That stuff is pretty much gone now, but the stigma remains. Now the night time concern around this region is car theft. The physical danger, unfortunately is more for victims of domestic violence. Back to the Restaurant issue there, full service eateries are simply fewer there than other parts of town.

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
9,423 posts
307 reviews
7. Re: Breakfast near the airport

Latinafro, Memphis is consistantly one of the most dangerous cities in America, both for violent crime and property crime. The airport area has more than its share of "adult" clubs, people who rent themselves by the hour, drug dealers and all the crimes associated with those activities.

Having lived in Memphis for over 40 years, I can honestly say that there is not one place in the city I would be afraid to go by myself during the day. I went to many questionable areas during the day with two different prior jobs without one single problem. However, dining at night near the airport is not something I would do even with my husband.

scotland
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
2,284 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Breakfast near the airport

I agree with Deb, Lots of locals will say 'don't go near there, I don't care what the gas price is I wouldn't slow my car down never mind get out of it there' That's ok to say so at night, but during the day as long as you are in clear view of people, and not walking off round a blind corner that is off the track, your pretty much fine as long as you use some common sense and not look like a very easy & inviting target, such as counting a bunch of money in the street, (a few japanese tourists around 6 years ago found out it's not the best idea)

The biggest problem most will have in town is someone asking them for money or trying to trick them into 'buying' a rose, or asking you to buy a pair of roller boots that don't fit you, lol and these things cease to become a problem once you learn to ignore, not make eye contact, or engage them in any conversation at all, they will try and walk up to you saying they want to ask you something, but as you keep talking to whoever your with and keep walking, not ever looking at them or speaking(don't tell them where to go or be rude) then you instantly become invisible to them, trust me.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
133 reviews
9. Re: Breakfast near the airport

In addition to what others have already said about location, the OP asked for a 'Good place to go for breakfast near the airport.'

Now, in my experience, eateries near the airport in most cities usually are either non-existent or not some place I would normally recommend as 'good' due to food quality, price or both.

I know in OKC there aren't any places to eat near the airport and in Queens, NY where I grew up the places were mostly dives. Those that weren't were just mediocre, not 'good.'

I have flown into many US cities (unfortunately, not San Francisco - at least not yet) and my observations, which I admit are not really comprehensive, are that all airports are similar in this way.

:)

Edited: 21 October 2010, 23:43
Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
123 reviews
10. Re: Breakfast near the airport

Thank you modcon for making the clear point that most airport areas are similar in terms of restaurant availability and sparseness of neighborhood. When I was a kid it was a hoot to ride with Mom and Dad to the edge of runway areas where there were burger & hot dog places. You could eat while watching those big airliners stack up and take off. Years later one took one's main squeeze to lanes along the runway areas again, but observed less of the aeronautical activity. Now there's just no draw (legal)

to go there as a destination so go to other areas.

Oh, back to the original point about breakfast, the Radisson on the airport grounds is not the quality it was 7 or 8 years ago, but it still has a hotel quality breakfast and you could call from the terminal for a pick up by their van (n.c.) without worrying about car rental.

Edited: 22 October 2010, 05:32
Get answers to your questions about Memphis