We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip of a lifetime

belfast
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Trip of a lifetime

Hi all we will be travelling from Ireland to Nashville next week we are celebrating our 25th anniversary we plan to stay in Nashville for 3 days then on to Memphis is it better to hire a car or take public transport we then fly from Memphis to new Orleans,is there hop on hop city tours in these places ? Thanks in advance

20 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
3,086 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip of a lifetime

I would recommend renting a car for the drive from Nashville to Memphis. The only other option is the Greyhound bus, which is not exactly the nicest way to travel in the States!

Nashville does have HO/HO services - Gray Line and Old Town Trolley are two of the bigger companies providing this offering.

I would recommend posting in the Memphis and New Orleans forums for questions regarding tours there as the folks in those forums are experts on their own particular city.

Music City, USA
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
4,235 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip of a lifetime

Depending on where you're staying, you may or may not want a car while you're in Nashville.

+1 to Downola's suggestion of renting one for the drive to Memphis. I think you'll want to keep it while you're in Memphis too. Their attractions are more spread out across the city than Nashville's.

belfast
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip of a lifetime

Ok thank you any recommendations for car hire

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
3,086 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip of a lifetime

If you ask 7 people their favorite car rental company, you will likely get 7 different answers! Hertz, Dollar, Enterprise, Avis and Budget are probably considered the 5 biggest with the largest selections. Shop around on sites like Expedia for the most economical choice that suits your needs!

belfast
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip of a lifetime

Thanks downola

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
3,086 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip of a lifetime

Very welcome - let us know if you have any more questions as you plan your trip!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
166 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip of a lifetime

Please note that driving in Nashville can be daunting. The number of traffic accidents per capita are higher than average.

Driving in the opposite lane for you will be challenging, so adding the fact that many drivers here believe they are qualified to race at LeMans could make it something you may prefer not to do.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
3,086 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip of a lifetime

Having lived in 7 states and driven in 40+, I always comment on how much I appreciated Nashville drivers when I lived there. I find them to be far more courteous and patient than in most other states. I believe the higher than average accidents stem from a lack of major thoroughfares leading in and out of the city that causes extreme congestion and therefore frequent fender benders. I myself was hit from behind twice on I-20 at speeds under 20 MPH while living there. Every resident of every state thinks they have the worst drivers. I think that's a natural reaction to our vehicular surrounding and perspective.

When I was a 19 year old college student living in England I drove from Oxford to York in a friend's vehicle. First time I'd ever driven on the left side, with only a moderate understanding of driving a stick shift. The next time I drove on the left side was 15 years later driving from Dublin to Cork. If you have the moxie, confidence or previous experience, you should do alright.

Music City, USA
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
4,235 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip of a lifetime

Thousands upon thousands (perhaps millions on a global scale) of travelers from left-side driving nations visit right-hand driving nations every year (and vice-versa) without incident. You'll be fine.

Also remember that almost every rental car in the US comes with an automatic transmission, unlike many European/UK rental agencies. That should help make the transition easier.

belfast
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip of a lifetime

Downola we are now thinking of car hire from Nashville to Memphis keeping it 2 days as opposed to 1 then driving from Memphis back to tupelo instead of tupelo on the route does that make sense thanks Maureen

Reply to: Trip of a lifetime
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted