We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galveston beaches up to New Orleans area

Kansas City...
11 posts
Save Topic
Galveston beaches up to New Orleans area

We are interested in renting a beach house in July of 2018. We will be a party of approximately 10 adults and 8 children, ranging in age from 1 to 12.

What are the beaches like in Galveston? Are they better/same/worse closer to NOLA? East/West of NOLA -- is there a difference in the beaches?

How is the surf or waves? Are the beaches clean or dirty? Are there other close attractions for kids? Is it 'safe'?

We are coming from the Kansas City area and I chose this area as it is probably the closest for those who will be driving. But if the beaches are undesirable, the extra drive (such as to Gulf Shores) would be better.

Is it possible to rent a house (or 2 side-by-side) right on the beach?

I'm accustomed to nice beaches in the Caribbean/Mexico and don't want to be disappointed in the beach. :)

Thanks!

12 replies to this topic
Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
731 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Galveston beaches up to New Orleans area

There really aren't any beaches between Galveston and NOLA that are even close to comparable to the Caribbean or Mexico because of the Mississippi River delta. The sediment from the river settles mostly in these areas, and the coastline along that part of the gulf is brownish sand and greenish water. There are no beach hotels or resorts in this area; there are only some state parks and wildlife refuges. Take a quick look at Google Earth and you'll see what I'm referring to.

Once you get past NOLA, there is Biloxi, Gulf Shores, Pensacola, etc. If you are looking for blue water and white sand, you need to focus your efforts on those areas.

As you go southwest from Houston along the Texas coastline, once you pass Corpus Christi, the beaches will become prettier, though they still are nothing like the Caribbean or Mexico.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
649 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Galveston beaches up to New Orleans area

We love our Texas, and are happy to hear you want to visit, including our beaches. However, if you want Caribbean white sand beaches & clear blue water, then honestly, that’s where you should go.

Save your trip to Texas for another time or reason. It’s a great place!

Enjoy!⭐️

Edited: 13 December 2017, 07:47
Kansas City...
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Galveston beaches up to New Orleans area

Thanks for your response and advice. I really appreciate it!

Kansas City...
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Galveston beaches up to New Orleans area

Thanks! I’ll never give up the Caribbean and Mexico 😊. But the whole family cannot afford passports etc and airfare. Looking for something closer and more affordable. I love Texas too. I’ve spent a lot of time in San Antonio (the jewel of Texas IMO) and some in Austin. But I’ve never been in the TX coast.

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,193 posts
363 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Galveston beaches up to New Orleans area

Here are some images of South Padre Island (SPI), so you can judge for yourself:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=south+padre+island%2c+texas&qpvt=south+padre+island%2c+texas&FORM=IGRE

Personally, I think SPI will hold its own against the waters and beaches of Mississippi and the Florida Gulf Coast, but that's for you to judge. Admittedly, it may be a longer drive for some of your family, but it's at least another possibility.

While Galveston is ordinarily perfectly safe for swimming and beach activities, the sand is brown, and the water is typically greenish-brown, so aesthetically it doesn't have the appeal of either the Upper Gulf Coast or the South Padre Island area.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
310 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Galveston beaches up to New Orleans area

I have extended family in Kansas City. And Branson Missouri. When they come to Texas. They come down to Galveston and stay. And it's always about the kids. Everybody has a blast.

There are plenty of things to do for the little people some free.Some not too cheap.

People who have never seen the ocean or live near the ocean, usually enjoy just being down by the ocean. Regardless of what it looks like. The smell of the salty air, the brown Pelicans, the seagulls, the sound of the crashing waves,the list goes on. The beaches on the East end are graded and raked.

It will be very hot in July and probably very little wind.

The water can be pretty green if there's no rain. Just check out things to do in Galveston.

If you find something you want to know about specifically just come back and ask. You're not going to find much to do for kids in South Texas.

Galveston has something for everybody all on one island.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
649 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Galveston beaches up to New Orleans area

Spraygun, I love your comments! Spot-on! So much to enjoy. I was also thinking in Galveston of Moody Gardens, Schlitterbahn, Pleasure Pier...kids (& adults) should love Galveston...if folks come with the right mindset, right?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
310 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Galveston beaches up to New Orleans area

We also have a place in Pensacola.As nice as it is to be there right on the water.I would still send families to Galveston first.The traffic in Pensacola is absolutely awful during that time of year.The whole country goes over there.There is not as much to do.

Not as much to do in Gulf Shores either.

We are just a straight shot south.

Galveston is perfect for families with kids.Especially if you can get a place on the beach.

Kansas City...
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Galveston beaches up to New Orleans area

Thanks for your reply.

Kansas City...
11 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Galveston beaches up to New Orleans area

Thanks! I also have family in the Branson area. :) Your response is helpful. We will discuss our options at Christmas. Thanks!

Reply to: Galveston beaches up to New Orleans area
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Galveston