We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alfred Hughes unit

Dudley
Level Contributor
5 posts
70 reviews
23 helpful votes
Alfred Hughes unit
Save

Hi , I live in England and would like to visit a friend at the Hughes unit in gatesville , could somebody please tell me which is the nearest airport to this facility , thank you :-)

4 replies to this topic
Marble Falls, Texas
Level Contributor
392 posts
47 reviews
42 helpful votes
1. Re: Alfred Hughes unit
Save

You can fly into an airport in Killeen, TX, or Waco, TX. Both are small airports with limited service. You will need to rent a car to get to Gatesville.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
8,724 posts
64 reviews
66 helpful votes
2. Re: Alfred Hughes unit
Save

I might be less expensive to fly into DFW and drive from there. It's about a 2 and a half hour trip from DFW to Gatesville.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
56 reviews
45 helpful votes
3. Re: Alfred Hughes unit
Save

Hi,

Did you do this? I am going to visit a friend hopefully early 2021 due to Corona, and I live in the UK, Did you have trouble getting there or going in etc?

Thanks

Lockhart, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
5,501 posts
17 reviews
34 helpful votes
4. Re: Alfred Hughes unit
Save

You may know this, but you MUST coordinate with your inmate. You must be on their visitor list, and an inmate can only update that list once in six months. And an inmate can only have one visit per week, so you have to avoid conflict with a planned visit.

If you and the inmate complete the process properly, you will have no trouble. However, neither you nor the inmate can control occasional situations that result in a lockdown of a unit. But those are unpredictable. Currently, the most likely cause is something related to CoVID. An inmate may be put on restriction on account of contact with a case. I believe Hughes is one of several units currently involved in a precautionary 14-day lockdown that began May 13. I think it possible, even likely, that such things could still happen in 2021. As the data approaches, keep up with the TDC CoVID-19 Updates.

https://www.tdcj.texas.gov/covid-19/index2.html

For visits, see Chapter 2 on Page 89.

https://www.tdcj.texas.gov/documents/Offender_Orientation_Handbook_English.pdf

Reply to: Alfred Hughes unit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gatesville
Recent Conversations
© 2023 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.