We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prices /allergies

north wales
Level Contributor
208 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Prices /allergies

Hi , we are coming to Tenerife in may , my partner wants to buy a fit bit watch , I was wondering are they cheaper in the airport (Manchester/ tenerife south) or in the resort playa americas ? Also on a different subject I developed a very bad nut allergy two years ago , I've not been abroad since then and I am super paranoid about it , do you know if the restaurants out there are strictly governed and educated with allergies ? I'm staying in Columbus hotel

Many thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
Tenerife
Tenerife
Canary Islands, Spain
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
23 replies to this topic
north west england
Level Contributor
3,632 posts
480 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prices /allergies

I would expect every restaurant to be aware of nut allergy issues, as they would be in the UK. As you no doubt appreciate, many restaurants buy in products which may contain nuts and woudl not claim their kitchens are nut free. As expected, that's a similar situation to the UK and I'd suggest you exercise whatever usual caution you exercise with British restaurants. On one level, you might say that there is less likelihood of encountering nuts in PDLA than in the UK - that's be because of the generally much simpler food in PDLA restaurants.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prices /allergies

As for a Fitbit watch, I would do a search on the forum for electrical goods. The stories aren't very positive.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prices /allergies

This is pdla

north wales
Level Contributor
208 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prices /allergies

Thank you guys , I always ask the questions about allergies especially when I'm n a Chinese or Indian restaurant and they use a lot of nuts most of them say no but when I mention about nut oil they may use to fry certain things they quickly retract and say mmmm yes I think we do so I am very careful ,I'm worried about declaring that I carry an epi pen on the airline as I've heard horror stories of people being refused to fly if carrying one or declaring an allergy , I'm so worried about those scenarios !!! If anyone on here has an allergy and has been to Tenerife please let me know thank you

Mentioned in this post
Tenerife
Tenerife
Canary Islands, Spain
uk
Level Contributor
19 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prices /allergies

don't know about allergy information but i take epipen in hand luggage on plane for years, never declared it or had any issues with it. i think total amount of liquid is only 3 ml anyway so does not need declaring

Pueblo Nuevo de...
Level Contributor
6,814 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prices /allergies

Download or print some allergy cards.

https:/…Translation-Spanish-a.pdf

Strict laws are in place covering declaration of allergens in food..

Edited: 24 April 2018, 18:48
north wales
Level Contributor
208 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prices /allergies

Thank you so much ,this is something I'm going to downloading and laminate take with me .

Stourbridge, United...
Level Contributor
213 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Prices /allergies

Have been on flights to the Canaries (Jet2 & Thomas Cook) where it was announced on the plane that a passenger had a severe nut allergy so they weren’t going to sell any nut products & could the rest of the passengers refrain from eating them so it’s worth notifying the airline in advance.

Level Contributor
300 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Prices /allergies

I would be very cautious as I stayed at iberostar bouganville and I am intolerant to milk products(lactose) and I can categorically tell you that had I been actually allergic I'd have been in trouble. They put out labels next to the buffet food items stating what allergies were present and it was ridiculously incorrect. Like clearly stuff with milk that they didn't state as containing milk. I spoke to the head of the restaurant and he told me the printed labelling came from Germany and to ask about each item instead ! I said then it should be removed as to say it's ok is worse than not saying anything! My step daughter's boyfriend is nut allergic and he avoids all Chinese and Thai food as nuts are common place esp 're the oil but also I'm MSG intolerant and whenever I ask they say they buy in their sauces and sometimes don't even know the ingredients! If you're highly allergic to nuts in the air I would remind on boarding and politely suggest asking the steward to announce it early as I've been on flights whereby they announce it 20 minutes into the flight! When I've been out and about eating abroad they are again a bit hopeless so I'd stick to planner food I'm afraid. Curry can also be an issue using ground nut oil. I worked with someone with a nut allergy and she was fine at a corporate event until she ate the mint with the coffee at the end of the dinner!

Level Contributor
300 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Prices /allergies

Sorry to sound so gloomy but if you only get answers from those without allergies or an intolerance you will not get an accurate answer, just a well intentioned one I'm afraid

Reply to: Prices /allergies
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Playa de las Americas
More Playa de las Americas Topics
;