We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's going on in Southwest Texas?

Belmont, Canada
Level Contributor
50 posts
18 reviews
10 helpful votes
What's going on in Southwest Texas?
Save

Been looking for accommodation along I20 (Midland-Odessa-Pecos) the second week of April and the rates are insanely high. Is there some special event that week that is driving the prices crazy?

6 replies to this topic
Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
9,057 posts
70 reviews
110 helpful votes
1. Re: What's going on in Southwest Texas?
Save

There is a huge oil industry boom going on and all the rooms are being taken by oil companies for their personnel.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
5,975 posts
362 reviews
710 helpful votes
2. Re: What's going on in Southwest Texas?
Save

While it may well be out of your way, you might try something along US 82, US 380, possibly US 180 (all north of I-20), or I-10, which is south of I-20. Take a look at the map to see which is closer to your end target, and then try to find accommodations. Any town within probably 75-100 miles of Midland/Odessa is likely to be full of oilfield workers. You might have more luck further east or west.

Good luck!

Belmont, Canada
Level Contributor
50 posts
18 reviews
10 helpful votes
3. Re: What's going on in Southwest Texas?
Save

That explains it then. Some businesses are getting rich. Have decided to cut north to I-40.

Thanks for your reply

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
5,975 posts
362 reviews
710 helpful votes
4. Re: What's going on in Southwest Texas?
Save

Do some research on Route 66, as I-40 is basically the same route. There are some interesting places to stop at and visit along the way. Here's just one of many sites to start with: https://roadtripusa.com/route-66/

Safe travels!

Belmont, Canada
Level Contributor
50 posts
18 reviews
10 helpful votes
5. Re: What's going on in Southwest Texas?
Save

Hi Gene. Thanks for the tip.

Odessa, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
7 helpful votes
6. Re: What's going on in Southwest Texas?
Save

Hello!

That's Odessa for ya! Americas oilfield is right here! A lot of men and women come in from all and stay in hotels for work. Corporates know oil companies will buy a $300 room and will price it high! It'll be like that until oil is $30 a barrel.

Reply to: What's going on in Southwest Texas?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Odessa
Recent Conversations
© 2023 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.