We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Midland TX

AZ
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Help with Midland TX
Save

First of all, I hope I have posted as close to the right forum as possible, if I have not, please forgive me. I am vising Texas, Midland to be exact, the first or second week of August, for the birth of my grandchild. This is my first time in Texas, and I will be flying in alone, meaning my husband will not be traveling with me. I am very much on a budget and will be staying at the Value Place Inn on W. Loop 250N. I believe, for one week. So, first question, is there food/restaurants within walking distance of the hotel ? Is taxi service readily available ? I really do not want to rent a car if at all possible, I don't really feel comfortable driving alone,, kind of directionally challenged at times. I just need transportation to and from my daughters house on a daily basis, and know that I can get to and from a restaurant as needed. I feel that by the time I rent a car, pay the insurance, all the other little hidden taxes and such, I could be just getting a taxi, Does anyone see a problem with this ? Any suggestions on inexpensive lodging, restaurants or transportation is gratefully accepted. Thank you.

5 replies to this topic
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
6,341 posts
45 reviews
168 helpful votes
1. Re: Help with Midland TX
Save

Hi, Denise. Just a heads up that Value Place primarily caters to workers who live in other towns, but would be in Midland for a short term job, which would require this style of motel. Here are some reviews:

https://plus.google.com/113811979077549370973/about?gl=us&hl=en

Regarding taxi question. http://www.superpages.com/yellowpages/C-Taxi+Services/S-TX/T-Midland/

Food within walking distance? You are near that Loop 250 and I have never been to Midland so I don't know if it is elevated in that area or not. I also don't know if the feeder areas have sidewalks. Here is a map. Value Place is the purple dot.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ct=reset&tab=ll

On your side of 250 you could walk to Chick Fil A, Wendy's, Subway, Papa John's Pizza (they deliver too), and further down is On the Border. Across on the other side of 250 are more but I have no idea how you would go across. Perhaps a resident of Midland can answer this.

You are also not to far from the Midland Park Mall also noted on the map to the East.

http://www.simon.com/Mall/?id=218

Here is URL for taxis:

http://www.superpages.com/yellowpages/C-Taxi+Services/S-TX/T-Midland/

Edited: 10 years ago
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
6,341 posts
45 reviews
168 helpful votes
2. Re: Help with Midland TX
Save

There is a Holiday Inn Express not far away from VP and it's on the Loop. They have hot bkfst and microwave/frig in room.

http://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/us/en/midland/mafta/hoteldetail

There is also a La Quinta and Hampton Inn in area.

As for food by Holiday Inn Express you are close to the following:

Dickey BBQ, Texas Burger, Jack in Box, Schlotzkys (my fav), Cracker Barrell (full hot meals that you could heat up in your room), Freebirds Burritos, Double Daves Pizza, Baskin Robbins Ice Cream and my daughters fav Burgers, Fries and Cherry Pies. Her dad lives in M. and she ate there and said it was great!

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
9 reviews
2 helpful votes
3. Re: Help with Midland TX
Save

Denise,

If you haven't already booked a room in Midland, you might be in for a terrible surprise. Midland is booming and has a critical housing shortage and people are living in hotels. Hotel prices for either one of the La Quintas, for example, runs $185 - $225 a night. A new Marriott opened last week and within two days they were booked solid, and one oil company has booked 40% of the rooms for the remainder of the year. The rates there are $236 a night. Crazy.

Frankly, some of the less expensive hotels are very undesireable now due to being at constant full capacity and occupancy by transient workers and associated alcohol and drug issues.

The sign in front of Value Place lists their rates at $449 a week. Its fairly new and not in a high crime area.

Anway, now that I hopefully haven't scared you off...

(btw, there is a forum for Midland)

... There are taxi's in Midland, but I'd say its rather limited. Midland/Odessa does have a bus service that's pretty good - EZRIDER. I've never ridden on it, but I know there is a route that goes around Loop 250. Midland is not pedestrian friendly. Loop 250 is a freeway with overpasses over the cross streets. There generally aren't sidewalks between the various commercial zones on the Loop and you do not want to walk across the Loop except at the cross walks.

If you rent a car, Enterprise is the best value as long as you don't start adding on upgrades. Midland is definitely not a difficult city in which to find your way around.

As far as eating, that's pretty much what people in Midland do. The list that Georgetowngal provided is very good. "Burgers, Fries and Cherry Pies" is listed in Texas Monthly as one of the best burger spots in the state, and I can well believe it (although a meal will cost around $15).

Value Place isn't really close to any restaurants. The closest place to eat would be Texas Roadhouse and its probably just under 1/4 mile from the hotel.

I hope that gets you started!

Edited: 10 years ago
Arizona
Level Contributor
131 posts
7 reviews
6 helpful votes
4. Re: Help with Midland TX
Save

Oh, man thank you for the insight. My son in law is working there, so I am well aware of the housing shortage. For that reason, I have booked Value Place some time ago, $450 dollars for 7 nights. Then I started reading how it is primarily oil workers, and wanted to make sure it would be a safe place for a middle age woman traveling alone, with no car. All other lodging is $900 plus for the week. That is tough for me to come up with, when I will only be sleeping there at night, spending the days with my daughter. I looked at the Midland forum, but there is not much going in over there. So far I have gathered that Value Place will be primarily oil workers, fairly clean, not fancy,cannot access food by foot, has taxi service which may be sporadic, but a good transit system that will go right by my place. There is a mall fairly close, and it sounds like burgers, fries and cherry pies better be my dinner one night! Thank you all for your help, it is very much appreciated.

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
9 reviews
2 helpful votes
5. Re: Help with Midland TX
Save

I'm glad I could help.

I suggest renting a car. Enterprise has the only rental that's not at the airport and they'll "pick you up" as they say.

Value Place isn't one of the local hotels that always seems to be showing up on the local news for some disturbance or other. Hopefully, most people staying at hotels know to behave themselves because if they get thrown out, they will be living out of their car.

Reply to: Help with Midland TX
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Odessa
Recent Conversations
© 2023 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.