We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rockport, TX, fishing guide

Whitehouse, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Rockport, TX, fishing guide

Visiting Rockport in October and we want to do a guided bay fishing trip. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Mentioned in this post
Rockport
Rockport
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
40 replies to this topic
McLean, VA
Level Contributor
16 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rockport, TX, fishing guide

We have the highest recommendations for Bobby Ward ... He took four of us out on a rough day, and we caught enough fish to feed our large group of 15 for two evening meals (at Shimpy's Grill in Rockport -- great spot to take your fish by the way). Another part of our group went out the same day with a different guide and were disappointed, but Bobby just kept working the reefs and we found plenty of drum and reds.

http://bwbigfish.com/

Strongly recomended.

Mentioned in this post
Rockport
Rockport
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rockport, TX, fishing guide

Call Chet DelaGarza with Slinging Mullet Fishing Guide. The other guide we originally booked double booked on our day and didn't know it until after 8 PM the night before our fishing trip. We had already traveled 4 hours to get to Rockport and I wasn't happy when we got bumped. The original guide called in Chet who agreed to take us as scheduled. We were not sure how the day would go but were very happy with the outcome. Chet knew all the great spots, had a great airboat and showed us a great time. We fished from 6:30 to 11:30 when we had our limit. The original guide went out and wasn't catching keeper reds like we were and didn't come close to limiting. We were SO happy the original guide screwed up. We will definitely use Chet again and recommend him.

Mentioned in this post
Rockport
Rockport
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rockport, TX, fishing guide

Greetings all, I'm a long time resident of Rockport who doesn't own a boat. So on the occasion that I do hit the water when not with Friends I do use our local fishing guides. I selected S&J Outdoors (www.sjolt.com), Captain Scott Isbell . Totally Professional! On time on target. Captain Isbell put me and my best friend on the fish! We fished Copano Bay and in three hours limited out. All equipment and the boat were in top notch care and maintenance. I would and will use S&J Outdoors again! Todd K, Rockport Tx

Mentioned in this post
Rockport
Rockport
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Katy, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rockport, TX, fishing guide

My husband and a friend had two fishing trips and used Ron's Guide Service at 361-557-0555. His email address is www.ronsrockportfishing.com.......highly recommend him. He is personable and knowledgeable. Will definitely use him again in the future.

Billings, Montana
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rockport, TX, fishing guide

We went a few weeks ago with Capt. Ron Coulston, www.ronsrockportfishing.com. Outstanding Guide! Our 13 year old daughter hasn't fished much. Capt. Ron was patient and professional; a gentleman and a great fisherman. He knew where to go to catch fish. Great boat and good tackle. She caught the 1st 5 and largest Black Drum, she had a blast and we all had a grand day. We each limited on Black Drum and caught a couple Sea Trout. We could have had quite a few more Trout if my fishing skills were a bit better. Highly recommend Capt. Ron and will go with him again when we're back in Rockport!

Edited: 11 May 2014, 10:20
Mentioned in this post
Rockport
Rockport
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Poth, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Rockport, TX, fishing guide

DO NOT USE DAN KELLY. Worst professionalism I've ever witnessed in my LIFE. He was cutting peoples LINES, CIRCLING them, and ALMOST hit a boat. Something HAD to be wrong with him... His business is "ReelTime" there in Rockport. Horrible.

Mentioned in this post
Rockport
Rockport
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
San Antonio, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Rockport, TX, fishing guide

DO NOT USE FRANK HOUSER as a fishing guide!! The absolute worst customer communication and service I have ever seen. I have taken several guided trips with my company in the past. this was the first time taking my wife. Since the first call to him, he was extremely rude with my wife. When we arrived he told my wife to get in the boat on the low end of the boat by the console She asked if she could get in towards the front because it was easier for her. His response, "GET IN HERE!!! WHATEVER BUT IM NOT HELPING YOU GET IN". We left and after three hours, we had been to three spots and had no fish. We were using live shrimp under a popping cork and the bite was extremely slow. In the unlikely event, my wife's cork would go under, he would yell at her and tell her to wake up!! During a conversation at our third stop, We were talking about our careers and I told him that my wife was a teacher. He said, "Oh great, I could have gone the rest of the day without knowing that!" then he looked right at my wife and said, "you must be a real b*tch". It took everything I had to keep from grabbing him by the throat and using him as a anchor! The rest of the trip he ridiculed and made fun of several other clients. I WOULD NOT recommend him as a guide for hunting or fishing!!! WORST FISHING GUIDE EVER!!! If you need a fishing guide, NO NOT pick Frank Houser!!

Rockport, Texas
Level Contributor
331 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rockport, TX, fishing guide

Any guy under the age of 30 is a fishing guide (or thinks he is) in Rockport. Shouldn't be to tough to find one.

Mentioned in this post
Rockport
Rockport
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
L W
Louisiana
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rockport, TX, fishing guide

Oh wow I wish I'd have seen this one week sooner!!!! Frank Houser was a horrible guide! Just like the Daniel B said, don't go with him if are female! Very chauvinistic! No patience what so ever! All he did was drive the boat and put shrimp on the hook which isn't rocket science. No help at all except to berate and criticize. We fished about 3 1/2 hours and caught one decent redfish but even it wasn't a keeper. He acted as if he was paying us for his time!! We couldn't get off the boat fast enough! No wonder he was available on short notice. Very unprofessional as he dissed other customers who called while we were out on the bay with him. Avoid at all costs!

Save Reply
10. Re: Rockport, TX, fishing guide

I would recommend highly Bobby Ward's Guide Service..extremely professional and knew what he was doing. He put us on the fish and we caught enough for all four of us to have drum and trout. His equipment was clean and in good shape and the boat was as well. H was very friendly and helpful and he did all the work for us. We just reeled them in. He said he was booked thru November so obviously he has a good reputation.

Reply to: Rockport, TX, fishing guide
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Rockport
Recent Conversations