We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Girls Trip

Manakin Sabot...
Level Contributor
4 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Girls Trip

What is the best city to visit in Texas for a girls trip? We plan to arrive on a Thursday and depart on Tuesday. Three girls coming from Virginia and one from Colorado.

We like to shop, eat, sight see, drink, the usual girls trip. We usually look for somewhere easy to fly into that we won't have to drive far to and from the airport, that has VRBO homes to rent, things we want to do closeby. I am not sure what the traffic would be like in Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, El Paso, renting a car for a day trip would not be out of the question unless traffic is horrendous.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Our previous trips have been to Savannah Ga, Sedona Az, and Cape Cod.

Mentioned in this post
Texas
Texas
United States
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Dallas
Dallas
Texas
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
12 replies to this topic
Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Girls Trip

Nancy--

You have posted this request in Texas City, a small town between Houston and Galveston. You might be better off reposting it in Texas in order to get more responses.

Generally, you'll find that Houston and Dallas will give you the best shopping, nightlife, etc. Houston is an hour's drive from the beach city of Galveston, while Dallas is about 45 minutes from Fort Worth. San Antonio is the tourism capitol of our state (filled with history, things to do during the day, particularly along the Riverwalk, and is generally a more walkable city). It is also about a 90-minute drive from Austin, a city filled with lots of music venues and a totally different vibe from San Antonio. El Paso is not really a tourist city, and I don't think many people would recommend you pick that city as your destination.

Any of the three major cities could work for you ladies--it just depends on what is of most interest to you.

Welcome to Texas!

Mentioned in this post
Texas
Texas
United States
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Galveston
Galveston
Galveston Island, TX
Dallas
Dallas
Texas
Austin
Austin
Texas
Lockhart, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
2,060 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Girls Trip

Okay. Well, your post does get seen by viewers of the Texas forum, as to posts directed at all the specialized city forums. So you kind of ended up in the right place.

So far as easy drives to and from the airport, Austin has it better than most. The airport is inside the City and just minutes from downtown and normally without bad traffic. (Austin traffic can be horrid, but the route to and from the airport isn't a problem spot.) It's not a mega-airport and so is quicker and easier to negotiate than places like DFW. San Antonio is more of a trek, depending on where you stay. DFW is way out from central Dallas. But if you can fly into Love Field (Delta, Southwest, Virgin), your right in town. Houston's newer George Bush Airport is far out. Hobby Airport (American, Delta, Jet Blue, Southwest) is closer in. El Paso's airport is also close in. Dallas and Houston traffic is like most huge metro places, somewhat stressful. I'd rate Houston worse than Dallas.

In planning any trip to Austin, it is well - no, essential - to check the Austin calendar of events to make sure there isn't some major event, like SXSW, Formula 1 race, etc. that will jam up the town and fill up the accommodations. At other time, it's a fun place.

Mentioned in this post
Texas
Texas
United States
Austin
Austin
Texas
Dallas
Dallas
Texas
Love Field
Love Field
Dallas, TX
Hobby Airport
Hobby Airport
Houston, TX
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,813 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Girls Trip

Hi, I am hoping you can elaborate on "shopping". My vote would be either Houston or Dallas. Obviously, clubs and restaurants will be overwhelming and we can give you info on areas to stay for your hotel.

But the shopping is a different story. Both cities offer a wide range of shopping from a huge wholesale/bargain, eclectic, to antique, vintage to High End.

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Dallas
Dallas
Texas
knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,364 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Girls Trip

When do y'all plan to visit? July - September, more or less, are the worst for heat and humidity in Texas.

Mentioned in this post
Texas
Texas
United States
Manakin Sabot...
Level Contributor
4 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Girls Trip

We plan to visit the second week in September.

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,269 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Girls Trip

I'd say central Texas: Austin/San Antonio are best for what you are wanting. And do look at Fredericksburg in the Texas Hill Country. It's the center of the Texas wine industry, and it has a fun downtown with lots of shopping and B&Bs. It's an easy (and pretty) drive from either of those cities.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
5,095 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Girls Trip

I have to agree that San Antonio, Austin and/or the Hill Country would be my choice. While Houston and Dallas do have tons of restaurants and drinking and shopping opportunities, they really are like many other large urban areas. If you enjoyed Savannah, Sedona and Cape Cod and want something with a non-urban vibe (and I've been to Savannah and Sedona so I know what they are like) I'd base in San Antonio and go from there.

Mentioned in this post
Austin
Austin
Texas
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Dallas
Dallas
Texas
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Lockhart, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
2,060 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Girls Trip

Yeah. You can go pretty nuts shopping and eating in Fredericksburg. Here's one of thos "birdseye view" maps to give you an idea of the layout. And a real short drive to San Antonio if you make it too hot for Fredericksburg to hold ya'll.

http://bevmaps.com/fbgmain.html

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Girls Trip

One man's (emphais on "man's) opinion, for what it's worth. Fredericksburg is great for what I'd term souvenir shopping--lots of local artisans producing jewelry, art, fruits, canned and jarred goods, some local clothing (lots with a western influence), but not much of what you'd get at department stores in Houston, Dallas, or even (to a lesser extent) in San Antonio. If that's what you're looking for, it can be fun. After about 2-3 restaurants and a visit to the National Museum of the Pacific War, I'm ready to go elsewhere, but my wife enjoys the town more than I--she can handle a max of two days.

If you want to spend a day there, you might visit there from either San Antonio (no more than a 1.5 hour-drive) or Austin (about 1.75 hrs). There is a factory outlet mall located in San Marcos, TX, roughly halfway between San Antonio and Austin, if you're into outlet malls. (Roughly 45 minutes from either city.) www.premiumoutlets.com/outlet/san-marcos

Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Dallas
Dallas
Texas
National Museum of the Pacific War
National Museum of the...
2,621 Reviews
Fredericksburg, TX
Austin
Austin
Texas
knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,364 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Girls Trip

Actually, San Marcos also has the Tanger Outlets, just about a mile down the road.

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Girls Trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Texas City