We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Texax

England
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Texax

Morning all,

While looking at various websites I have noticed Texas spelt Texax. it has cropped up too many times for it to be a spelling mistake.

I have tried to look up why it is spelt with an 'x' instead of a 's' but to no avail.

Can anyone put me out of my misery and tell me why it is sometimes spelt TEXAX?

Mentioned in this post
Texas
Texas
United States
Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
6,114 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Texax

Could you give some example websites

England
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Texax

Hi,

If you just type TEXAX into google it comes up with loads

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
6,114 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Texax

That is true but they all look like typos. Hope that helps with the misery.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Texax

I did the same and it all looks like typos on websites or sites that are intentionally misspelled to redirect traffic. I've lived in Texas for most of my life and have never heard of anything refered to in this way.

Mentioned in this post
Texas
Texas
United States
UK
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Texax

I have an oval pewter belt buckle, bought on holiday in South Carolina. It has a relief image of a cowboy mounted on a slightly reared horse, about to 'toss' his lasso. Across the top of the relief is the word TEXAX - which has been especially stylised so that the horizontal line of the initial T sweeps leftwards over the relief and ends forming the top-left to bottom-right line of the last X. This ain't no spelling mistake.

Mentioned in this post
South Carolina
South Carolina
United States
Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
6,114 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Texax

Latix wondered why it would be spelled that way. Perhaps in this case it starts with being purchased in South Carolina.

Mentioned in this post
South Carolina
South Carolina
United States
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
333 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Texax

Does that belt buckle say "made in china" on the back?

UK
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Texax

Very droll I'm sure. Just punch Texax into google etc. Is it seriously proposed that even one of the webs encountered is a SPELLING mistake? Why not dozens and dozens of Xouth Carolinas, New Yorx, etc etc. There MUST BE an underlying reason why - perhaps it's just too difficult to explain in English. I think may have something to do with Redneck/Good ol' boy -ism. Or maybe it's an early Mex~Tex nickname/other for the old state. Just surprised none in a nation of 250 million people can tell me. x

McGregor, TX
Level Contributor
776 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Texax

Well, B19Tex, I clicked on many of the links just to check, and yes, I do believe that many of them are typos and spelling mistakes. Tattoo parlors, family photo albums... There is a restaurant in Ohio that looks deliberate, but it offers barbecue. Its name may be "advertising" the way some places sell "Rollex" watches and "Gucchi" bags, and stores catering to tourists in South Carolina offer "Texax" belt buckles.

I bought some gen-u-ine Confederate money there once, and I bought a copy of the Declaration of Independence in Philadelphia too. I haven't had it appraised though.

Perhaps 250 million of us can't tell you because there isn't a reason.

Or perhaps you are correct that we don't know our Texas history well enough? It may be wrong in the books here, since Texas history doesn't translate well into English (LOL), but "Texas" is from the Spanish pronunciation of the Caddo (Native American) word "Tejas".

tshaonline.org/handbook/…pft4.html

Best of luck to you. I hope someday you can come get a REAL Texas belt buckle. :)

Mentioned in this post
South Carolina
South Carolina
United States
Philadelphia
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
Texas
Texas
United States
10. Re: Texax

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 June 2009, 19:24
Get answers to your questions about Texas City