We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12 day vacation in texas

York, United Kingdom
14 posts
Save Topic
12 day vacation in texas

I am travelling to texas in october next year for twelve nights doing a fly drive. The places I would like to see are dallas ,fort worth, austin , san antonio,Galveston and houston.I was thinking of staying in dallas, san antonio and houston and seeing the other places from my base .I'm open to suggestions on number of nights in each place and if there anywhere else to see or stay I like sight seeing ,citys ,restaurants and a bit of shopping

Mentioned in this post
Galveston
Galveston
Galveston Island, TX
23 replies to this topic
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: 12 day vacation in texas

ian r, we're going to need a little more information on what you consider to be a "good hotel". For example, do you have a budget in mind? Also, you may want to post the question regarding hotels in the forums for those cities. While you're received some wonderful advice by posting in this forum (for a not really touristy city named "Texas City"), you'll get even more advice if you post in the forums for those cities specifically, as some of the local DEs only look at the forums for their city.

Mentioned in this post
Texas
Texas
United States
York, United Kingdom
14 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: 12 day vacation in texas

Budget is roughly 100 pounds a night or $ 150

Newcastle, England
Level Contributor
49 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: 12 day vacation in texas

That was the budget we worked to, it depends what you want for your holiday. There is a hotel chain called Omni which were good quality and a great location. When you look at hotels, remember to add tax on (there are city AND state taxes so consider about 15%) and also parking charges. We stayed in anything from hostels to 5 star hotels with rooftop infinity pools, slum it some nights for luxury.

Use sites like Trivago.co.uk to get the best deal, also give Trailfinders in Leeds or Newcastle a call as they get special rates, free upgrades and free nights. I personally look for rates with free cancellation should we wish to change our itinerary while travelling.

Dallas - We stayed in the Omni downtown, fantastic hotel. Right in downtown and close to Dealy Plaza but most of what you would want to see is out of town and needs driving to. Check out around Arlington area which is between Dallas and Fort Worth.

Austin - Check out the Raddison downtown, its right on the river and central downtown. It is the state capitol and has a large university with a football team which attracts about 110,000 each home game so check the Longhorns schedule as this will push the prices up. It is a very easy city to get around and you can hire bikes to get around. Parking in Austin can get high but play it right and its about $5 a day by using the on street bays which are free overnight.

San Antonio - Anywhere on the river walk should be good, most attractions are walkable or along the river taxi. We stayed in the Hotel Indigo and managed to get free parking.

Houston - We stayed in Omni Westside, west of downtown, not much there but hotel was decent enough although a little dated. Personally i would stay out toward the space center and then you are as good as mid way between downtown and Galveston.

Mentioned in this post
Dallas
Dallas
Texas
Austin
Austin
Texas
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Galveston
Galveston