We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single female traveler looking to explore Texas

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Single female traveler looking to explore Texas

looking for advise for places to stay, is it possible and worth buying a car? Or should I use public transport To explore, any recommendation of places to visit. Looking at traveling for a couple of months before heading to check out New Orleans. Traveling from the uk.

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Texas City Dike
Other Outdoor Activities
Texas City Museum
Speciality Museums
Bay Street Park
Playgrounds, Gardens, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Biking Trails, Bodies of Water
4 replies to this topic
Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Single female traveler looking to explore Texas

I'm not an authority on the subject but I've read that is impossible for a non-resident to purchase and legally operate a vehicle in the US. Insurance companies won't issue a policy to cover the car and, without proof of insurance, a license tag can't be obtained.

To best explore Texas a vehicle is required. Public transport does exist in and between the big cities. But to get to smaller communities and see places like Far West Texas (Big Bend NP, Marfa, Fort Davis), the Hill Country and Palo Duro Canyon in the Panhandle, you would need a car for at least parts of your visit.

For travel info about Texas look through www.traveltex.com and www.texashighways.com

Do you mean to be in Texas for two months or is that the total time you have in the States?

Mentioned in this post
Texas
Texas
United States
London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Single female traveler looking to explore Texas

Thank you for the info I will be traveling for around a year but thought I would do Texas in a couple of months but I'm going to be fairly relaxed about timing and just see how it goes.

Mentioned in this post
Texas
Texas
United States
Dallas
Level Contributor
3,475 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Single female traveler looking to explore Texas

Are you a U.S. resident? If not and if you plan to travel in the U.S. for "around a year", what kind of visa do you plan to get? AFAIK, the Visa Waiver (if you are eligible) is only good for 90 days per visit (which includes time spent in Canada, Mexico, & adjacent islands/Caribbean). The B-2 (visitor) visa is good for 180 days per visit. You'll want to study up on this.

You can legally buy a car in the U.S., but there are residency requirements for vehicle registration & insurance that vary from state-to-state. You will also need to study up on this in some detail.

Lastly, you have posted in the forum for Texas City, which is a small town near Houston, TX. Suggest you ask the Moderators to move your query to the general forum for Texas; or repost there.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Texas
Texas
United States
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Single female traveler looking to explore Texas

Check with a rental car company such as Enterprise and they might be able to do a long term deal for you on a rental. If you buy a car, as a non-resident, the insurance will be extremely high. The rental when it is all said and done might end up being cheaper.

Also, you UK license is good for 90-days. Visa is a whole other issue.

Reply to: Single female traveler looking to explore Texas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Texas City