We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 Days in Texas

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
225 reviews
Save Topic
6 Days in Texas

Hi,

Hope someone can give us a bit of advice.

We are going to be in Texas in Sept 2016.

Sadly we only have 7 days and would like to make best use of our time.

We are active 50 somethings and like to get out and about hiking and / or cycling.

Not madly keen on lots of museums but definitely interested in the customs and folklore.

Enjoy our food and bar life!

We have to fly into Houston, but can fly out from Houston, Dallas or Austin.

The loose idea I have at the moment is to leave Houston, drive to San Antonio 2 days there, drive to Big Bend NP 3 days there, drive to Austin 2 days there.

Concerned about the long drives in and out of Big Bend are there any stop points on the way?

Any alternative suggestions gratefully considered.

Thanks for your help

Mick

Mentioned in this post
Texas
Texas
United States
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Dallas
Dallas
Texas
Austin
Austin
Texas
3 replies to this topic
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 Days in Texas

Welcome to the forums, Mickthexton! You've posted this in the forum for a small town south of Houston called Texas City. You may want to repost in the main Texas forum or in the forums for the cities you plan to visit. If you repost, more people will see it and hopefully respond with advice and suggestions. You can do that by following this link - tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28964-i75-Texas.h… - clicking on Ask a Question, and selecting "Texas" at the top of the drop down menu.

In the meantime, I'll try to help and a few others will probably pop in as well. If I'm reading correctly, you have seven days not including your travel days. Is that correct? Even if you have seven full days, incorporating Big Bend is going to be difficult. It's almost a full day's drive from either Austin or San Antonio, so if you plan for three days, you actually only have one day to explore the area once you get there. If seeing is really a priority, you could just do one night in San Antonio or Austin before heading out there, and then one night in either before you head home. Otherwise, I would recommend skipping Big Bend and spending that seven days in Austin, San Antonio, and the Hill Country west of those cities.

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Texas City
Texas City
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Texas
Texas
United States
Austin
Austin
Texas
Preston, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 Days in Texas

Thanks for the feedback MrTed, I misread the forum title, will repost as you suggest.

I was worried about the long drives, Big Bend seemed like a good place to cycle and hike, maybe a can find something similar in the "Hill Country"

Thanks again

Mick

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 Days in Texas

Yes, there are lots of hiking and cycling opportunities in the Hill Country and even right in or near Austin.

Mentioned in this post
Austin
Austin
Texas
Reply to: 6 Days in Texas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Texas City