We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best State Parks in Texas

Austin, Texas...
2 posts
Save Topic
Best State Parks in Texas

I am planning a camping trip with my family and wanted some opinions on the best state parks in Texas. I found a Texan Post article texanpost.com/2012/… that lists Lost Maples as the top park in Texas. Does anyone have any more insight on this?

3 replies to this topic
San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,689 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best State Parks in Texas

Lost Maples is very unique and beautiful in late fall when the leaves are changing. "Best" is such a subjective term. I'd be hard pressed to answer without knowing what your interests are. I think Guadalupe River is the "best" river access near San Antonio. Enchanted Rock the "best" giant rock to climb on...

When you say camping, are you talking about RV camping with hookups or a more rustic, backpacking type experience?

Austin, Texas...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best State Parks in Texas

Thanks for the feedback...I'm talking rustic...no technology, just us and nature.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best State Parks in Texas

Lost Maples is pretty nice since you can climb up on a ridge 400 feet up for some good views. Is there any reason you're limiting yourself to state parks though? Big Bend National Park in West Texas just blows the state parks I have been to out of the water. The Chisos Basin campground is really amazing there with its views of Casa Grande and nice 5600 foot elevation for cooler nights. If you want to backpack the backcountry sites there have bearboxes too, so you don't have to worry about hanging food nor bringing an Urack or bear can.

Reply to: Best State Parks in Texas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Vanderpool