We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping near Goblin State Park

Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Camping near Goblin State Park

We are planning on 1 night near Goblin State Park in a couple of weeks..mid April . We would like a quiet spot with no ATV's around. Is there such a spot in that area, possibly outside the designated/established camping areas?.

8 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,548 posts
170 reviews
1. Re: Camping near Goblin State Park

Your best bet actually might be in the established camp ground. The at. Party's tend to do more primitive camping in dispersed areas.

Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Camping near Goblin State Park

We are planning a few nights in Capitol reef, but needed a 1 night layover before getting there the next am. Any camping suggestions on highway 24 before Cap. Reef would be appreciated ....doesn't necessarily have to Goblin. Driving from Colo I -70.

Also, any cap reef camping suggestions would be great too. After that. We'll head down to grand staircase and might camp off of the burr trail rd or hells backbone. We have off rd pop up a 10 and 6 year old....truck with high clearance.

Thank you soooo much. Hard to find reliable info. I appreciate your time. Happy Spring!!!!!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,548 posts
170 reviews
3. Re: Camping near Goblin State Park

Boy, didn't see that typo. Sorry, I meant the atvs take the dispersed camping.

There is a nice campground in Green River. It isn't that far down the road from there to Capitol Reef. There might be something in Hanksville but I've never needed it so have never looked.

The only established campground in Capitol Reef is Fruita Campground which is a wonderful place, but first come first served.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
3,190 posts
37 reviews
4. Re: Camping near Goblin State Park

This is in Capitol Reef also. The Cedar Mesa CG down the Notom Rd is pretty nice too. There are at least 6 sites there. First come, first serve. Tables, fire pits and toilets. No water available. You need to be self sufficient there. Pretty decent access for the Burr trail and southern parts of the park.

Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
908 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Camping near Goblin State Park

So I woke up yesterday morning at Goblin Valley's campground, and I would rate it as decidedly mediocre. It is very open with little privacy. When the wind kicked up, there was quite a bit of blowing dust. And then there was the jerk in the huge RV next door that just had to start his generator right at 7AM. Of course, you might have more courteous neighbors. And there were swarms of kids. On the plus side, my own kids found it fun to play there and there are nice covered picnic tables at each site.

Then again, you are right to be wary of the ATV's. Utah is infested by practitioners of that obnoxious pastime. And Temple Mtn does seem to be a hub of that activity. My advice would be, if you are equipped for dispersed camping, to find a spot along the left (south) side of the road connecting Goblin Valley SP and Little Wild Horse Canyon. There were a lot of sites along the cliff bands there. Just look for dirt side tracks pulling off the main road. Of course, it can be hard to identify dispersed sites when they're unoccupied.

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
71 reviews
6. Re: Camping near Goblin State Park

"you are right to be wary of the ATV's. Utah is infested by practitioners of that obnoxious pastime."

I'm sorry to infest you with my pastime. Pardon me for existing and enjoying different things than you.

Edited: 05 April 2013, 23:09
Atascadero...
Destination Expert
for Lake Powell
Level Contributor
1,716 posts
7. Re: Camping near Goblin State Park

Since you might be heading to the Burr Trail and the Escalante area, you might want to consider camping at the Cedar Mesa campground in Capitol Reef. I did this several years ago and it was a great experience. It's a primitive campground, about 23 miles south of Highway 24, along the north-south spine of the National Park. Very few people visit this part of the park, and they're really missing out. Here's a website with more info on the campground:

capitol.reef.national-park.com/camping.htm

Here is my description of Cedar Mesa Campground, from an excerpt of my journal entry from May 2005 when I camped there:

The lazy crescent moon is drifting slowly toward the western horizon, following the sun behind the Waterpocket Fold. Just a few wispy clouds float high above, no threat at all except to unobstructed star-gazing, though in truth even the tiny sliver of moon poses a greater impediment. There is no wind, no sound at all, here at Cedar Mesa campground, halfway down the dirt road spine of Capitol Reef.

The campground is small, primitive, and extremely attractive. Interspersed among the junipers (no cedars, ironically) are 6 or 7 well-spaced sites. When we arrived at about 6 PM, we were the only ones here. How could this be? No matter, it’s cause for cracking open our only two beers, doors open to the big world around us, as the setting sun shone a brilliant and dramatic cloud-reflected light on the snowy Henrys to the east. I took a long swig from the Pacifico. It doesn’t get better than this.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,548 posts
170 reviews
8. Re: Camping near Goblin State Park

Beautiful JFR... that evokes the calming affect of the desert. Love. it.

Reply to: Camping near Goblin State Park
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hanksville