We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Horseback riding tour Monument Valley

West Harrison...
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Horseback riding tour Monument Valley

We would like recent recommendations of companies for horseback riding tour of MV. We will visit in third week of June, so what length of tour would someone recommend based on the heat. Family of 4 with 2 older teens.

6 replies to this topic
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,671 posts
249 reviews
1. Re: Horseback riding tour Monument Valley

I’ll let others with experience let you know about who, or who not, to use.

Rides will be nose to tail and you won’t cover much territory. If you want to see the sites in MV, choose a native guided, back country, vehicle tour. Think of the horseback ride as a bonus or compliment to the real back country tour.

Lexington, North...
Level Contributor
83 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Horseback riding tour Monument Valley

I’m a little late to this but we went horseback riding in MV two years ago and it was one of the most iconic things I’ve ever done. There were just 4 of us, myself, my girlfriend and her granddaughter and our Navajo guide. Got to do two full-blown long gallops in a dry river bed with one of the Mittons real close. Got to ride where John Wayne made some of his movies. An incredible experience.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
27 posts
102 reviews
3. Re: Horseback riding tour Monument Valley

I would skip the horse tours. Just drive the road yourself, or perhaps take a Jeep tour. We just left and had a horrible experience. And of course the company is not responding to our emails or phone calls...this is after trying to resolve issues in person, but we went sent around from person to person.

USA
Level Contributor
69 posts
66 reviews
4. Re: Horseback riding tour Monument Valley

What company did you do the ride with?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
27 posts
102 reviews
5. Re: Horseback riding tour Monument Valley

Roy Blacks. I still haven’t received a refund.

USA
Level Contributor
69 posts
66 reviews
6. Re: Horseback riding tour Monument Valley

I pre-booked with Roy Blacks for a morning ride, confirmed 2 days before the tour, and when I showed up, there was no guide ready and the horses still needed to be saddled. I canceled and received a full refund, and they were very nice about it. I would recommend winging it the day of or the day before a ride. Even if you book with Roys, I wouldn’t count on it happening.

On a side note, most of the horses looked fine, but some were thin and had saddle sores. From an animal welfare point of view, Id skip.

There was also a riding place right at the John Wayne viewpoint on the 17 mile loop.

Reply to: Horseback riding tour Monument Valley
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Monument Valley