We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic hike around Park City - late May afternoon

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,705 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Scenic hike around Park City - late May afternoon

My husband and I have an afternoon and evening around Park City on Sunday May 28. He finishes a conference around 3p at the University of Utah.

Was going to drive towards Park City and hope to find a short scenic hiking trail (3 hrs max, 4-6 miles elevation change ok) before going to Park City for dinner.

We are staying in downtown SLC so will return there after dinner.

Any suggestions for a trail? Oh should mention we hike most weekends so harder trails with elevation change that has good payoff views are ok.

Edited: 07 May 2017, 08:32
Mentioned in this post
Park City
Park City
Wasatch Range, UT
Utah
Utah
United States
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,705 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic hike around Park City - late May afternoon

BTW... I hate this new TA subforum classification. Couldn't find Park City in the Utah subforum. Then I remembered the changes in the California forums and had to know PC is part of the Wasatch Range region. How the heck are other visitors not familiar with the geography supposed to know that?!? I hope you DEs complain. The California DEs are.

Ok off soap box. Back to hiking trails recommendations.

Mentioned in this post
Park City
Park City
Wasatch Range, UT
Utah
Utah
United States
California
California
United States
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
18,663 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic hike around Park City - late May afternoon

No need to look for the sub forum "Park City". Just post on the Utah forum. All the DEs and regulars who are familiar with Park City will see your post on the Utah forum.

Mentioned in this post
Park City
Park City
Wasatch Range, UT
Utah
Utah
United States
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,705 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic hike around Park City - late May afternoon

Ok thanks. This change has caused quite the grumble in California.

I hope someone will have some recs.

Would also appreciate a restaurant on or near Main Street. New American with small plates/tapas style maybe?

Mentioned in this post
California
California
United States
utah
Level Contributor
2,845 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scenic hike around Park City - late May afternoon

Mid mountain is a nice, scenic trail in Park City. There are lots of different options with the trail system Mid Mountain connects into.

Mentioned in this post
Park City
Park City
Wasatch Range, UT
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
20,216 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scenic hike around Park City - late May afternoon

Late May is still a bit early for some of the higher mountain trails but you should still find good options. You can go to www.MountainTrails.org for information.

My primary recommendation would be Rob's Trail which is one of the most popular in the community. Access is just off SR224 heading into town. You can find it on the trail map. It winds for a mile or two through forest then opens up onto the slopes at Canyons. You can go as far as you like then turn back or use an alternate trail. You should be fine on trail conditions with no snow and not likely any mud.

Another great hike that will give you huge scenic vista is Empire Pass to Jupiter Peak and back. It's a full ridgeline hike atop the Deer Valley Resort that winds up climbing Jupiter Peak. All that said, this route is still likely to have a fair amount of snow and not sure the road will be open. But worth checking.

The Mid Mountain Trail brian_c_pg noted is another good one. A lot of it is shaded and at higher elevation (follows the 8,500 foot contour) so follow the condition on mountaintrails.org before you head up there. The best way to do the trail would be to take the free city bus up to the Montage/Empire Lodge stop then hiking back towards Park City Mountain resort and down into town. I'm thinking late May should be free of snow in most places but likely a bit of mud still. This is a relatively flat trail - some up and down but not a ton of vertical as its objective is to hug the contour.

Also watch to see if the Guardsman Road is open from Salt Lake City. This would be a bit early as they are slow to open it. But if it is open, best option is to take Big Cottonwood Canyon up to Guardsman Pass and down through Empire Pass into Park City. That opens up a world of hiking options for you in Big Cottonwood Canyon. Here's link to closures Look for the SR224 update here. This forum might be better for latest updates.

udottraffic.utah.gov/CLALertViewer.aspx…

Have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Deer Valley Resort
Deer Valley Resort
2,262 Reviews
Park City, UT
Park City Mountain Resort
Park City Mountain Resort
1,761 Reviews
Park City, UT
Big Cottonwood Canyon
Big Cottonwood Canyon
980 Reviews
Salt Lake City, UT
Park City
Park City
Wasatch Range, UT
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,851 posts
1,140 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scenic hike around Park City - late May afternoon

Restaurant recommendation is Bodega on Main. Very good tapas and nice atmosphere.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
5,143 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scenic hike around Park City - late May afternoon

If you're arrive in late May, Salt Lake might have better hiking options. Many of the trails begin at a lower elevation, which means less snow/mud earlier in the season.

Grandeur Peak is one option to look into. From here, you could stay in Mill Creek Canyon and eat at Log Haven. https:/…grandeur-peak

If you want something a litter more challenging, then one peak further south is called Mt. Olympus. If you summit, plan on at least five hours. You'll want to make sure you have enough daylight. www.summitpost.org/mount-olympus/151263

If you do want to head to Park City, you could drive up Emigration Canyon, which is actually fairly close to the University of Utah. At the mountain pass, there is a small gravel parking area to access the highest peak between Parley's Canyon and Emigration. You don't need to summit for a nice payoff, if you make it to the ridgeline, you'll have nice views to the west. Once back at the car, it would be easy to access I-80 and continue to Park City for dinner if wanted. You'd almost be halfway between Main Street Park City and Main Street Salt Lake. http://www.summitpost.org/perkins-peak/484675

Mentioned in this post
Log Haven
Log Haven
449 Reviews
Salt Lake City, UT
Park City
Park City
Wasatch Range, UT
Utah
Utah
United States
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,705 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scenic hike around Park City - late May afternoon

Thanks for all the suggestions. We do want to be in Park City for dinner as this is the only day with a car and we would have eaten at Downtown SLC the 2 nights before.

I will check with you all on trials conditions a few days before we get there. Sounds like I have options. A little mud is ok with our waterproof shoes but definitely not all mud and snow. We are recovering from itchy poison oak from our Yosemite trip a few weeks ago. We bushwacked through some thick stuff one day. I read ticks might be an issue? Do people hike in shorts late May?

Mentioned in this post
Park City
Park City
Wasatch Range, UT
Salt Lake City Intl Airport
Salt Lake City Intl...
Salt Lake City, UT
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
20,216 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scenic hike around Park City - late May afternoon

Never had an issue with ticks here but others may have. Big issue back in midwest where I'm from. It would be rare to be really comfortable with shorts in late May, but possible. As a general rule in the mountains, I never wear shorts. It's never warm enough where it's an issue. Lightweight long pants are far preferred. But it's also personal preference. But watch temps and know it will be a few degrees cooler in the mountains.

Have fun.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,705 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Scenic hike around Park City - late May afternoon

Ok thanks. I usually wear zip off pants or capri but the Mr. really likes his khaki shorts. Just want to make sure we won't need to be extra cautious.

A hiker on one of our favorite local trail was bitten by a rattler not long ago and had to be air lifted off the mountains. I work in healthcare and saw Lyme Disease recently so ticks on my mind as well. I am sure we will be fine. :p