We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking around Park City

Utah
Level Contributor
62 posts
44 reviews
Hiking around Park City

Heading to PC in August with my husband and twin 22 year old daughters. They want to do some hiking, but these hiking maps are so overwhelming! Any recommendations as to where we start? We will be staying right on Main Street. I wanted to hike somewhere where we are up on the mountain and have beautiful views. We are not experts and I am guessing August will be HOT. Thanks!

12 replies to this topic
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
20,903 posts
451 reviews
1. Re: Hiking around Park City

Heat is never a notable factor in the mountains so don't worry so much about that. You can find maps at mountaintrails.org, but, yes, it can be overwhelming with around 500 miles of trails.

The most spectacular hike with stunning views is hiking the ridgeline from Empire Pass (on SR224 en route to Guardsman Pass) above Deer Valley and Park City and up to Jupiter Peak. You can do this in about three or four hours total. Moderate elevation gain. Stunning views every inch of the way. If you have a car, you can drive form Main Street and park in Empire Pass. About 15 minute drive. If not, you an take the free city bus to Empire Lodge. You will then need to hike up.

Another option is the Mid Mountain Trail. Stunning views again, but not quite as spectacular as the ridgeline. Take the bus up to Empire Lodge. The trail is just above the Montage. Hike back towards Park City. It hugs the 8,500 foot contour so very little elevation gain. Lots of great views. You can eventually hike back to your place. That would be three to four hours.

Lots of other options but both of these are spectacular and won't be that difficult.

Have fun.

Utah
Level Contributor
62 posts
44 reviews
2. Re: Hiking around Park City

This is great info - thank you! We do have a car rental so we will be able to drive. I am very interested in the trails you mentioned above Deer Valley. We park for this in Empire Pass? I will try and find it on the map. Thanks again!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
20,903 posts
451 reviews
3. Re: Hiking around Park City

Yah, there's a small lot there. Take SR224 up from town towards The Montage Deer Valley hotel. There's a roundabout there. Just keep going up. You'll climb and go through a few switchbacks, then come to a mountain pass where you can see down into Heber City to the south. That's Empire Pass. If you continue a few miles you'll climb again up to Guardsman (also a good spot to hike). But the ridge hike to the west from Empire Pass is the best option there.

Have fun.

Utah
Level Contributor
62 posts
44 reviews
4. Re: Hiking around Park City

Wonderful. I remember a backroad we took from Park City to Midway where we stayed at the Zermatt. I believe we drove by this - I will look. Thanks again. Will be studying this on the map!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
20,524 posts
41 reviews
5. Re: Hiking around Park City

The “back way” to Midway from Park City is up Empire Canyon towards Guardsman Pass. Before you get to the top of Guardsman, there’s a left hand turn on a road that will take you in to Midway. That road has recently been improved and widened a bit. It’s a great drive.

Utah
Level Contributor
62 posts
44 reviews
6. Re: Hiking around Park City

Great - thank you!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
5,205 posts
33 reviews
7. Re: Hiking around Park City

Also look into going into Big Cottonwood Canyon. The Brighton Lakes, Twin Lakes, and Donut Falls are all fairly short or easy options at different trail heads.

A longer drive, but with nice views for much of it, Stewart Falls near Sundance Resort is a paved trail and could be a nice easy hike too.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
77 posts
54 reviews
8. Re: Hiking around Park City

Hijacking this post for clarification on the ridge line hike Tumbleweed is suggesting. I see Empire Pass on the map, but is there an actual trailhead? Is it marked? What might this hike be called on a site like AllTrails.com? I see an Empire Pass Ridge hike, but it doesn't mention Jupiter Peak. Sorry - this might all be very clear once we're there, but right now it's confusing.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
5,205 posts
33 reviews
9. Re: Hiking around Park City

There is an actual trail head, though I'm not sure it's marked. There is a small gravel/dirt parking lot for a few cars. If you go over the ridge line and down the other side, you've gone too far. Just follow the trail nearly due west. Jupiter is a prominent peak with diagonal rock bands across the cliff face that resemble stripes on the planet with the same name.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
77 posts
54 reviews
10. Re: Hiking around Park City

Appreciate the reply, Shake. We only have one full day in PC, so trying to pick one good hike is proving difficult. Would you say this hike is a better option than Fantasy Ridge to Desolation Peak? Looking for great views, at least 6 miles and a good workout. The plan is to hike in the morning and then hit the Sunday Silly Market in the afternoon.

Reply to: Hiking around Park City
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted