We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Park City typical crowds and conditions in early-mid March?

Alaska
Level Contributor
407 posts
44 reviews
Park City typical crowds and conditions in early-mid March?

Hi,

We are in trying to plan a ski trip for spring break 2019-- sometime in the range March 8-19 with a little wiggle room on either side. We are looking primarily at either Park City or Banff/Lake Louise coming from Alaska (I know, I know, we should be going to the beach, but we are mixing it up next year). Have 2 skiers and 2 snowboarders. All are experienced, although kids have only skied/boarded here at Alyeska, but are capable of difficult black diamond runs on that mountain.

Questions to help us decide which direction to head - airfare is comparable to both as is lodging, as far as I can tell.

1) Is March typically a very crowded month in Park City? Not interested in super long lift lines or skiing with wall to wall people.

2) I have read Park City typically has good snow through the end of March, into April. Is the skiing typically good through mid March? (I 100% realize weather is never a guarantee- but some looking for typical seasons)

6 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
5,190 posts
33 reviews
1. Re: Park City typical crowds and conditions in early-mid March?

I've heard great things about Lake Louise but never been there.

Park City has two ski resorts, but Deer Valley doesn't not allowing snowboarding. So that means you'll need to go hit up Park City Resort. It was combined with Canyons a couple of seasons ago, via a gondola, to create the largest ski resort in the U.S. There are over 7,000 skiable acres, so you'll have plenty of terrain to choose from.

Conditions in March will be a wildcard. It could snow 16 inches for a couple of days you're in town. Or it could be 45 degrees with blue sunny skies.

As far as crowds go, March is spring breaks across the country and many families use that time for a ski vacation. So the resorts are busy, but not necessarily crowded, especially in mid week. If you avoid a couple of chairlifts that seem to attract crowds, there is enough terrain to find some solitude. Park City does have the weekly Spring Gruv Festival in March, which is free concerts on their plazas Saturday afternoons. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1es1lbUrx8

Park City will also have about a half dozen other ski areas within an hours drive. So if you wanted to go check out Snowbird, Snow Basin, Brighton, or Solitude, it could be fairly easy to do so.

Edited: 14 July 2018, 06:52
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
1,184 reviews
2. Re: Park City typical crowds and conditions in early-mid March?

Spring break will be busy at any major resort. Park City is the largest area in the USA and you can expect weekends to be the most crowded time when locals drive up for the day. That said, PC can handle a lot of people. There are a few lifts that can

have substantial lines, but load the Epic

Mix App on your mobile device and you can see the wait times for every lift. You can plan your route accordingly and for the most part avoid the crowds. There's always a learning curve. Most likely you will experience spring skiing conditions which is my personal favorite time to go!

Edited: 14 July 2018, 09:37
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
20,718 posts
449 reviews
3. Re: Park City typical crowds and conditions in early-mid March?

As noted, March is a busy month. February and March are best snow conditions of the year at any western mountain resort. As PlanetR noted, if you use the app and watch the lift line boards you can navigate the area quite effectively. I would not make crowding or snow conditions a concern - go when and where you want.

Lake Louise is nice but does not have a fraction of the skiing available at Park City. And there's really nothing to do there. Banff is more interesting. But if your choices are Park City vs. Lake Louise/Banff, it's a no-brainer. Go with Park City.

Have fun.

Alaska
Level Contributor
407 posts
44 reviews
4. Re: Park City typical crowds and conditions in early-mid March?

Thank you! All the replies are really helpful. It sounds like we'd be able to handle the crowds if we head that direction. That's interesting to hear about Banff/ Lake Louise not having as much skiing or things to do. A friend came back raving about the Big3 , which is what made us start considering that trip, but another friend went to Park City and raved about it-- so it sounds like we've got some good choices. Now we've got more things to think about! Thanks again!

Hollywood, Florida
Level Contributor
68 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Park City typical crowds and conditions in early-mid March?

The Canyons side of Park City is usually less crowded. If your kids are decent skiers/boarders, they will love it. I've been to the resorts you mentioned. We loved Park City area so much that we stopped going elsewhere, and return to Park City area twice a year now.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
918 posts
16 reviews
6. Re: Park City typical crowds and conditions in early-mid March?

I have skied Park City multiple times including last season and Banff areas - Lake Louise, Sunshine Village, & Mt. Norquay. Both are great choices, especially since PC and the Canyons were combined to make 7300 acres. The Banff areas have more acres of skiing than even the new giant PC, but you have to visit multiple areas to get it where it is all in one location in PC. Lake Louise is around 4200 acres, Sunshine is around 3,300 acres and Mt. Norquay the smallest. In the town of Park City there are tons of apre ski options, but with Banff there is a decent amount, but it is all in Banff which is a short distance away from all 3 ski areas. Both are pretty places, but Banff wins for natural beauty. Although I have not price compared them in some time, I suspect in general and especially with the exchange rate, Banff wins on price. You cannot go wrong with either. I will likely be making a return trip to PC this winter. It is a great place and I find easier to travel to than Banff.

Edited: 30 August 2018, 09:19
Reply to: Park City typical crowds and conditions in early-mid March?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted