We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

short getaway in manchester

new york
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
short getaway in manchester

hi!

we are planning a short relaxing vacation from april 19 for 3 nights with 2 little children under 3 we are plannig to stay at the equinox we like mountains nice hikes at lakes or mountains and a quiet area

is this an ideal place we live in ny its a 4hr drive so i wanna make sure before we take this drive

thanks

yidy

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: short getaway in manchester

The Equinox is a beautiful grand old hotel. Manchester is a great place to visit. Plenty of hiking choices and scenic mountain ranges. Scenic villages of Dorset and Arlington nearby and small city of Bennington with museum with artwork of Grandma Moses. Hope you have a good trip.

Mentioned in this post
The Equinox, A Luxury Collection Golf Resort & Spa, Vermont
The Equinox, A Luxury...
1,473 Reviews
Manchester, VT
Arlington
Arlington
Virginia
Bennington
Bennington
Green Mountains, VT
Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: short getaway in manchester

I think you will enjoy your trip, as long as the weather is with you. April 19th can be kind of sketchy. Some of our great hiking trail won’t be open that early in the year either. However before I chase you away let me give you some ideas.

First plan a trip to Merck Forest http://www.merckforest.org/ You and your children will love this place. Plenty of hiking and views that are to die for, plus farm animals, and you might be early enough to still catch them making maple syrup.

The kids would probably also enjoy a trip to the Manchester Rec Park, for their play ground, and they have a nice little walking trail that will take you out the Battenkill River http://www.town.manchester.vt.us/index.html

Also ask the people at the Equinox to direct you the Equinox Pond www.equinoxpreservationtrust.org/ecology.php

Just remember to bring some really warm clothes, some shoes that will take the mud, and hope for as well expect warm, dry and beautiful.

Mentioned in this post
The Equinox, A Luxury Collection Golf Resort & Spa, Vermont
The Equinox, A Luxury...
1,473 Reviews
Manchester, VT
Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: short getaway in manchester

Vtmom13 has very good ideas. Dorset is on the way to Merck Forest(both are north of Manchester).

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: short getaway in manchester

My kids used to love going to farms to see the baby animals this time of year (think lambs!). You could ask for advice at the hotel.

5. Re: short getaway in manchester

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2009, 11:17
Get answers to your questions about Manchester