We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First vist to Vermont - suggestions?

Santa Maria...
Level Contributor
120 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
First vist to Vermont - suggestions?

My daughter and I are taking a road trip this summer that will include a 2 day stay in Manchester, VT. We both love shopping, history, and easy walks. We'd also enjoy a nice dinner out one of the nights - nothing too fancy. I would appreciate ideas of things to see and do, places to shop and perhaps some input on restaurants - all in the Manchester area. Thank you so much.

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Green Mountains, VT
Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First vist to Vermont - suggestions?

Hello Stuffinmama,

Take a day trip up route 100 north and stop in Weston to do the Vermont country store, move onto Woodstock where you spend a few hours (loads to do see www.woodstockvt.com) and return down route 106 via south Woodstock and Chester and you will have a great day out. For a dinner out the Inn at Weathersfield is well worth the 30 minute drive...

Mentioned in this post
Vermont Country Store
Vermont Country Store
673 Reviews
Weston, VT
Woodstock
Woodstock
Vermont
The Inn at Weathersfield
The Inn at Weathersfield
264 Reviews
Perkinsville, VT
Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First vist to Vermont - suggestions?

Ye Old Tavern and the Perfect Wife are 2 restaurants in area to check out. Shopping is very easy to find in Manchester. Most shops on are on RT 7(north-south) and RT 30 east-west. Hildene in Manchester was the the home of the son of Abraham Lincoln and he was President of the Pullman Railway Car Co., beautiful estate with lovely grounds. Southern Vermont Art Center is a gem of small museum. Both of the above are in Manchester, outside of the main village.

Bennington a 30-45 minutes south of Manchester has the Bennington Museum which has ?the largest collection of Grandma Moses painting, the Bennington Battle Momument(Revolutionary War)-obleisk-tallest structure in Vermont, beautiful classic New England white Church on Green just outside of the main area. Arlington on Rt 7a is between Bennington and Manchester, was home at one time to Norman Rockwell. There is also an unassuming restaurant with very good food there called Jonathan's Table.. There are 2 routes between Manchester and Bennington- 7(faster) and 7a(more scenic). Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Lincoln
Lincoln
White Mountains, NH
Vermont
Vermont
United States
Bennington
Bennington
Green Mountains, VT
Bennington Museum
Bennington Museum
286 Reviews
Bennington, VT
New England
New England
United States
Arlington
Arlington
Virginia
Connecticut
Level Contributor
124 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First vist to Vermont - suggestions?

Hi! We lived in Santa Maria when I was little (almost 50 years ago!). My father worked for CBS and was working on the then new state-of-the-art record plant . . . which, of course, has long since been out of commission.

Anyway, Vermont . . . to get a better idea of recommendations, where will you be coming from before you stay in Manchester and where is your next stop? (To get some idea of your general route.)

Mentioned in this post
Vermont
Vermont
United States
Santa Maria...
Level Contributor
120 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First vist to Vermont - suggestions?

We will be overnighting in Rome, NY - coming from Geneseo, and after that will be in Manchester VT for 2 nights before heading on to Manchester NH. We are staying at the Inn at Manchester which appears from the maps to be right in town. We are planning to visit Hildene and to do some "retail therapy" but other than that we are open to suggestion. I appreciate all the suggestions we've received so far!

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Green Mountains, VT
Manchester
Manchester
New Hampshire
The Inn at Manchester
The Inn at Manchester
645 Reviews
Manchester, VT
5. Re: First vist to Vermont - suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2009, 13:34
Get answers to your questions about Manchester