We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pedestrian friendly?

Santa Maria...
Level Contributor
120 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Pedestrian friendly?

Hello - still ironing out the details of our visit to Manchester, thank you for the leads on places to eat. My next question: it's very hard to tell from the maps I have whether or not Manchester is a good town for walking. For example - we are staying at the Inn at Manchester. How far is it to the Northshire Bookstore? Are the roads easily used by pedestrians? How is the traffic? What is the distinction between Manchester and Manchester Center - and are they within walking distance of each other?

If it would be easier for us to drive from shopping center to shopping center, restaurant to Inn, etc., how is the parking? I appreciate your advice, thank you.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pedestrian friendly?

Manchester is a small town, and your inn is roughly 3/4ths of a mile to a mile from the center. It's easily walkable in good weather. OTOH, if you're hauling store-bought goods from the factory outlets, you likely will want a car.

Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pedestrian friendly?

OMG yes Manchester is very walker friendly. It is one of the best part of lving there, you can walk everywhere. There are sidewalks from one end of town to the other [including the longest marble sidewalk in the world].

Parking really isn't an issue as long as your willing to walk a few steps. Getting a place right in front of the store maybe not, but we have lots all round town, you'll see signs for lots. Most stores and restaurants have their own lots.

8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Pedestrian friendly?

My husband and I go to Manchester once or twice a year. As stated in other post, there is plenty of parking and it is also, a great place to walk around the town. The Northshire is a great bookstore. While you're there, stop in the Spiral Press Cafe. I can't wait to get back up to VT.

4. Re: Pedestrian friendly?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2009, 15:21
Get answers to your questions about Manchester