We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me find this place.....please!

Level Contributor
1,450 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Help me find this place.....please!

First, I just noted I can't post in a general Vermont folder, so I'm just taking a chance by posting this in the Manchester forum.

We visited Vermont several years ago and came upon a place where there were all sorts of stuffed animals (cows, sheep, etc) on a hillside. They were full size, but smaller sizes. The image even showed up on the cover of either a Frommers or Fodors travel guide one year. Here's an image I found on line which might be the place:

www.shortcourses.com/naturelog/cows.jpg

Cows look a bit bigger than I remember.

Does anyone know where I was? I'd love to visit again.

Mentioned in this post
Vermont
Vermont
United States
Chester, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me find this place.....please!

It may be the Fool on the Hill shop in Queechee

Chester, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me find this place.....please!

did a bit of digging around and it probably was the place your thinking of but it looks like it may be closed.

rutlandherald.com/article/…NEWS02

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me find this place.....please!

Good sleuthing!. Too bad it is closing or is closed, sounds like a fun place to visit.

Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me find this place.....please!

My first thought was Quechee's Fool on the Hill, although I don't remember the stuffed cows looking like the one in your photo. I am very sorry to here that the shop is closing. It was a fun place to shop.

Level Contributor
1,450 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me find this place.....please!

Innvic - thanks for telling me the name of the place. You had it absolutely correct. With you telling me it was "fool on the hill", I did another search and came upon this photo link. This is exactly what it was - a hill covered by little stuffed farm animals.

www.flickr.com/photos/cowtools/212566344/

I remember enjoying this place so much. I'm so sad to hear that it's gone. I wanted to return. This is one of the reasons we need to travel. Places exist and if we don't see them, we miss out on great experiences.

Thanks to all of you helping me track this down.

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
356 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me find this place.....please!

Well Fool on the Hill near Quechee, which has been for sale for as long as I can remember seemed to be open again yesterday as the fire pit was lit for cooking corn....and they were the place that had all manner of animal figures stuck on their hillside....

Level Contributor
1,450 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help me find this place.....please!

It's great news that Fool on the Hill is still open. I need some more help. Their website, which on Google states they are in Vermont, takes me to a website for a place in Arizona. I called the number to get an address and phone was disconnected. Can someone tell me where Fool on the Hill is? What's the address? Do they still have the animals? Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Vermont
Vermont
United States
Chester, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help me find this place.....please!

they are on Route 4 in Quechee between woodstock and the interstate

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help me find this place.....please!

Interstate 89 (vs 91)

10. Re: Help me find this place.....please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2010, 12:18