We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romantic weekend in southern VT

new york
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Romantic weekend in southern VT

My husband and I are planning at trip to southern VT this winter. We are not skiers but love the mountains and are looking for a nice VT town to visit. I was thinking Manchester for it's shops and restaurants. I've done some research and was thinking the Manchester inn or the palmer house. We are looking for a nice resort or inn that is close to everything. All suggestions on resorts in the area or another area I should check out would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,718 posts
318 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Romantic weekend in southern VT

If you do stay in the Manchester area do take a trip up route 100N via Weston (Vermont Country Store) and into Woodstock (www.woodstockvt.com) as you will love it.

Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Romantic weekend in southern VT

Manchester does have much to love. Either of the place your looking are very nice. The Palmer House is located on the north end of town. You can walk comfortably to a great Mexican restaurant, and a little farther will put you on Main street. Main street Manchester is where you'll find locally owned shops that are quite unique.

The Manchester Inn is in the Village area. Surrounded by old big houses and marble sidewalks. It is just down the street from a lovely Irish Pub "Mulligan’s", and also an easy walk to the Orvis Flagship store. The Orvis store is worth a look even if you aren't there to buy anything, it's like a park.

Let me know if there is anything else you need to know about the area.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Romantic weekend in southern VT

If you look at TA forums for Manchester and Manchester Ctr, hotels tabs , then tab at top center for inns/B&b, it appears that the Inn at Manchester is highly favored, you might want to check the reviews.

new york
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Romantic weekend in southern VT

I am also looking at the reluctant panther. The website looks amazing but ta reviews are so mixed. Any opinions?

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,223 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Romantic weekend in southern VT

I took a look at the RP reviews. I have seen the Inn but never stayed there. It is always interesting when the reviewer only has 1 review, never posted here. I take those with a grain of salt. There is another recent reviewer who was negative. That reviewer had ten reviews, all for very high standard lodging and gave almost all poor reviews. Maybe that person is a little too picky. So, you know how picky you are and what you like and want out of a hotel or Inn. There is nothing wrong with calling and trying to get a feel for the place yourself.

new york
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Romantic weekend in southern VT

Thanks. I never thought of it that way. I usually have great luck with TA but the reviews are so mixed for the RP I'm really torn. I really love what i see on the website and wanted a nice place to stay with lots of amenities. The palmer house suites look nice but I wasn't really looking for a motel feel. Any other places I should check out? Like I said before we are not skiers so will be spending most of our time exploring the towns around manchester, shopping and in our room.

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Romantic weekend in southern VT

I don't know if this factors into the reviews of the RP, but it did burn down and then get completely re-built in the last couple of years. You could ask them when they re-opened, and then just look at the reviews from that date forward.

Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Romantic weekend in southern VT

RP was burnt down about four years ago, it also changed hands at that time. It is a lovely property. I've never stayed there, but I have had there dinner, which was interesting. I will tell you that they have had their ups and downs locally. As a point of location, they are on a side street down the road from the Equinox. [An insider tip for you, if you want so an incredible view, walk up to the Burr & Burton Academy just at dusk, stand in front of the main building and look east.]

I'm going to give a couple of other place you might want to take a look at. The Ormsby Inn http://www.ormsbyhill.com/ Manchester View http://www.manchesterview.com/ and just outside of Manchester in lovely Dorset [five minute drive] is the Dorset Inn http://www.dorsetinn.com/

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Romantic weekend in southern VT

Agree with neslaw1 you have to decipher the reviews based on reviewers history or lack of track record. I have had dinner at RP, it is very nice. Agree with idea to call Inn and ask questions, can sometimes discern from conversations the level of service, etc. you might receive.

10. Re: Romantic weekend in southern VT

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2010, 12:15
Get answers to your questions about Manchester