We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stowe in early October

Jackson, New...
Level Contributor
67 posts
2 reviews
Stowe in early October

My wife and I are looking at driving up to Stowe the 1st weekend in October. We're looking at getting an airbnb up near von trap lodge so i was wondering if we would have any issues driving a car up those steep hills. Do you guys usually have snow by October ?

9 replies to this topic
Jackson, New...
Level Contributor
67 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Stowe in early October

Also, we love seeing leaves change. I imagine we would have to come in September if we want to see peak foliage change ?

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,533 posts
39 reviews
2. Re: Stowe in early October

You will be fine. The chance of snow that early in the season is pretty darn close to 0.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,533 posts
39 reviews
3. Re: Stowe in early October

Also, 1st weekend in Oct is perfect for seeing color change.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
9,694 posts
93 reviews
4. Re: Stowe in early October

No problem driving. There's no snow in early Oct. (There's seldom even a dusting on the summit of Mt. Mansfield much before November.) And as VTer said, the 1st weekend in Oct. is usually a great time to see the foliage. Get your lodging lined up now, since that's peak tourist time.

Jackson, New...
Level Contributor
67 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Stowe in early October

thank you both!

Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
3,110 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: Stowe in early October

Actually there is almost always snow on Mt. Mansfield prior to the end of October, but from a driving standpoint you don't have anything to worry about in the first week of October.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,694 posts
93 reviews
7. Re: Stowe in early October

True, there are a handful of days when there's a pretty dusting of snow on the summit in late Oct, but typically no significant snow that lasts until Nov.

www.matthewparrilla.com/mansfield-stake/

Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
3,110 posts
12 reviews
8. Re: Stowe in early October

Isn't that chart showing a lot of measurable snowfalls in prior Octobers at the stake on Mt. Mansfield beginning pretty much right around October 1? Based on that chart, I'd say a more accurate statement is that rarely is there more than 10-12 inches of snow on the summit of Mt. Mansfield prior to the end of October, and seldom is there a dusting prior to the end of September.

But anyway, I definitely agree that driving in and around Stowe in the first week of October there is no concern for snowy roads.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,694 posts
93 reviews
9. Re: Stowe in early October

No. The average is 0" until late Oct, when there's 0-3" at the stake. Then 3-4" thru the 1st week of Nov. Last year was zero until about Nov. 10th. There are some high flyer years, but the averages are minimal.

Reply to: Stowe in early October
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Stowe