We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virginia in November

Level Contributor
60 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Virginia in November

We have about 4 days to fill in from Novemebr 9 -13th. Any ideas of what to do in the Virginia region at taht time of the year. We haven't picked out any cities or towns to stay at yet. open to any ideas.

One idea I am toying with is the idea of driving along the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia in early November. How is the weather at that time of the year? Would we be likely to encounter road closures/snow or inclement weather conditions? Also are the fall colors still there to see or would they have disappeared by early November?

Thanks in anticiaption

4 replies to this topic
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,738 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virginia in November

Early Nov. seems fine. The great thing about missing the fall color is the even more amazing expanded panoramic views unhampered by foliage this time of year.

Be sure to bring good binoculars for fun.

Brookneal, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virginia in November

In late November, every year when we travel up hwy 29 (on our Day Before Thanksgiving trek over the river and through the woods to Grandma's House) from Lynchburg, VA through Lovingston, Covesville, to Charlottesville on up to Fairfax,

we are always so surprised how much color is still on the trees.

Beautiful burnished golds and bronzes and browns, not the reds and yellows of October, but beautiful none the less.

Hwy 29 winds up the eastern edge of the Blue Ridge mountains, and for me, the prettiest stretch is between Amherst, VA and Charlottesville. 29 is not a mountaintop drive, more in the valley with mountains on both sides. Perhaps that is why in late November there are still lots of leaves still on the trees. I would think that early November would be lovely.

Not sure about Skyline drive and Blue Ridge Parkway, because they are higher elevation. For me, I enjoy the scenery more when I am in the mountains more than on top looking down from far above.

Driving route 501 from Lynchburg to Natural Bridge along the James River in the mountains is very lovely. That drive includes peaks like the Eagle Eyrie area near Lynchburg, to bridges crossing the river, both high points and low points.

Another lovely area is the Peaks of Otter in Bedford County.

You can take route 501 west of Lynchburg, then take the Blue Ridge Parkway from just west of Big Island, VA down to the Peaks of Otter, and that is a gorgeous drive!

Come to think of that, I want to do that drive soon, it's been too long!

Hope you have a wonderful trip!!!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virginia in November

You MAY encounter road closures. It is just very unpredictable. It snowed up on Skyline Drive on Monday. Not much-, but it was enough to give it a dusting. Whatever you plan to do, have a plan B that you can put in place at last minute if necessary.

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virginia in November

Lexington, VA is a beautiful place to visit. It's a historic town. There's a number of good restaurants like Bistro on Main for lunch/dinner, Macado's for sandwiches, Sheridan Livery Inn and Restaurant for lunch/dinner, The Palms for lunch/dinner and drinks and Soutern Inn for fine dining lunch/dinner. Lexington is the home of VMI and W&L U. It's a beautiful town a few minutes W of I 81 and worth a visit.

Bistro on Main @ 8 North Main St., Lexington, VA 540 - 464 - 4888.

Macado's @ 30 North Main St., Lexington, VA 540 - 464 - 8201.

Sheridan Livery Inn & Restaurant @ 35 North Main St., Lexington, VA 540 - 464 - 1887.

The Palms Restaurant @ 101 West Nelson St., Lexington, VA 540 - 463 - 7911.

Southern Inn Restaurant @ 37 South Main St., Lexington, VA 540 - 463 - 3612.

Reply to: Virginia in November
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lexington