We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lexington or natural bridge for a halfway point stopover

philadelphia, pa
Level Contributor
73 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
lexington or natural bridge for a halfway point stopover

Hello,

I will be traveling through the area next weekend with my wife and our three-year-old twins. This area is halfway to our destination. We will be arriving late afternoon and I'm hoping to stay somewhere the kids will be able to stretch their legs and have a little something to do before traveling the next day. Wondering if staying at Natural Bridge or in Lexington makes more sense. I understand N.B. has the park and tourist activities that might engage the kids a bit, but I've heard it's not that great, and you're kind of stuck eating at the hotel there. Other option is staying in Lexington. Is there a place in the main part of town where kids can run around (playground?), restaurants nearby, etc? Which area would you choose?

Mentioned in this post
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,546 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lexington or natural bridge for a halfway point stopover

I would definitely stay in Lexington, Virginia. Although I enjoy visiting Foamhenge in Natural Bridge, I find the rest of it kind of sad. (It's in the works that Natural Bridge will become a Virginia State Park, so I hope things will improve with that.)

Here's a link to playgrounds in Lexington: www.lexingtonvirginia.com/playgrounds.htm

Maybe you can wear the kids out at the playground so they will sleep in the car while you and your wife see a movie at Hull's Drive In. We went last summer and had a blast! http://www.hullsdrivein.com/

Mentioned in this post
philadelphia, pa
Level Contributor
73 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lexington or natural bridge for a halfway point stopover

Thanks! This is helpful. My only concern is that we'll be there on Sunday and it seems like most of the restaurants are closed on Sundays. Any recommendations on somewhere to eat or grab takeout on Sunday night?

hudson valley
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: lexington or natural bridge for a halfway point stopover

My explorations of Lexington have been mostly limited to stops for gas where 11 meets 81N, but since it's where I-81 and I-64W meet you won't have any trouble finding something to eat on a Sunday night, as long as it's not really late. Your fine dining options may be limited, but there should be plenty of stuff open. Depending on timing you'll also have the option of stopping a bit shy of Lexington. If you're coming from Philly, Harrisonburg and Staunton are about 50 and 30 miles sooner.

I'll also note that depending on how early you can start and how well the kids (or the adults) tolerate driving, it's not an especially long drive from Philly to Lexington. Just another hour would get you to Roanoke or Lewisburg, WV. The former has to have plenty of choices. Lewisburg probably has fewer non-chain choices than Lexington, but if you're not fussy and would like to arrive an hour earlier on Monday it might be a good place to stop.

Mentioned in this post
Lexington
Lexington
Kentucky
Staunton
Staunton
Virginia
Roanoke
Roanoke
Virginia
Lewisburg
Lewisburg
West Virginia
gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lexington or natural bridge for a halfway point stopover

We really liked Lexington. The area was very walkable with kids and the playgrounds were nice. We liked the Woods Creek Trail at the bottom of this page:

http://www.lexingtonvirginia.com/hiking.htm

We ate at Salerno's and did takeout from there too. Each time was a good experience and it looks like they are open on Sundays.

Mentioned in this post
Lexington
Lexington
Kentucky
Georgia
Level Contributor
15 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lexington or natural bridge for a halfway point stopover

Lexington for 2 nights

Mentioned in this post
Lexington
Lexington
Kentucky
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
20,280 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lexington or natural bridge for a halfway point stopover

Greetings!

Simply put! Lexington.

I hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Lexington
Lexington
Kentucky
Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,904 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: lexington or natural bridge for a halfway point stopover

Simply declaring one town over the other is not helpful. Thanks to Longhorn, The Steve from NY, and Aster, there is some good information to help make a decision. I likewise would choose Lexington over Natural Bridge simply because there are more options in terms of hotels and restaurants. Downtown is very lovely and walkable.

Mentioned in this post
philadelphia, pa
Level Contributor
73 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: lexington or natural bridge for a halfway point stopover

Thanks, everyone. We wound up driving through to Roanoke and had a good stay and were happy go have gone a bit further on the first day of travel. Lexington does look nice, though. Perhaps if we're traveling through on a different day of the week next time we'll stay there.

Mentioned in this post
Roanoke
Roanoke
Virginia
Lexington
Lexington
Kentucky
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
20,280 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: lexington or natural bridge for a halfway point stopover

Greetings mojo,

Thanks for getting back to TA. Where did you stop for the little one's leg stretch? Any tips for TA Forum, traveling w/toddlers?

Kind Regards,

Keshgrammy

philadelphia, pa
Level Contributor
73 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: lexington or natural bridge for a halfway point stopover

Hi All,

Just checking back in with a belated update to the "toddler stretch" question. We've done this drive 1 1/2 times now, and have stopped at a really cool used bookstore in Harrisburg, PA, at Dinosaur Land near Winchester, VA and at Gypsy Hill Park in Staunton. We also visited Mill Mountain Star and Park in Roanoke. All great stops for kids! We also stopped in Abingdon for coffee and a playgorund stop and at a really great toy store in Brevard on day two!

We're gearing up for this summer's road trip and are planning on staying in Lexington this year if I can get a reservation at Robert E Lee Hotel (currently showing sold out). Looking at the playgrounds/hikes mentioned above, Boxerwood Gardens. Thinking about stopping in Roanoke for the railroad museum, since it was closed last time we traveled through. Open to any suggestions along the route! This board is always helpful in my trip planning!

Mentioned in this post
Harrisburg
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
Dinosaur Land
Dinosaur Land
158 Reviews
White Post, VA
Winchester
Winchester
Virginia
Gypsy Hill Park