We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 or 3 days in lexington

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
131 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
2 or 3 days in lexington

Hello,we will be visiting in october and i was wondering whether one full day would be enough to see all the sights/museums in lexington or would two days be a better option..we will also be spending a day in roanoke to visit their museums.many thanks. John

Edited: 13 January 2016, 01:30
4 replies to this topic
NEWPORT NEWS, VA
Destination Expert
for Hampton, Newport News
Level Contributor
566 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 or 3 days in lexington

My family spent a weekend in Lexington and I'm glad we were there for two days. Virginia Safari Park, a short drive away in Natural Bridge, was loved by all. The walk through the regular zoo and the drive through (the Safari part) can take several hours. Shopping in downtown Lexington was fun and we all stopped at the ice cream parlor for quick energy.Plus, there's a lot of Civil War history to take in. And there's the nearby Natural Bridge Zoo and quirky Foamhenge (Stonehenge, constructed from foam) .

And it was a lot of fun taking the family to Huff's Drive-In, in Lexington. Prices for entry and snacks were surprisingly low. My daughters-in-law and pajama'd g'kidlets had never been to one.

Just beware of football weekends; VMI and Washington & Lee have loyal alumni and it can get crowded!

Edited: 13 January 2016, 03:48
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
131 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 or 3 days in lexington

many thanks for the quick reply.we are two sixty plus oldies and i am really only interested in the civil war sights\museums around lexington.do you think they can be done in one day or would two be better for a more relaxed pace.cheers john.

NEWPORT NEWS, VA
Destination Expert
for Hampton, Newport News
Level Contributor
566 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 or 3 days in lexington

Hey, you're 60+ *Seasoned Citizens* (It just crushes me when they don't ask for my ID on senior day at the grocery store...)! Anyway, I think I'd still opt for two days since you've got Stonewall Jackson Memorial Cemetery (where the general is buried), Stonewall Jackson House, Lee Chapel and Museum and the Museum of Military Memorabilia. Plus, not CW oriented:but still interesting are the George C. Marshall Museum and the Cyrus McCormick Museum.

I do believe there is a horse and carriage tour available, too.

Edited: 13 January 2016, 05:43
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
131 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 or 3 days in lexington

Again thanks for the info.I think we will stay 3 days in lexington. 2 days for lex and 1 day for a visit to roanoke.

Reply to: 2 or 3 days in lexington
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lexington