We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BKK to Koh Chang

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
64 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
BKK to Koh Chang

Hi,

I know it shouldn't be easy to say the exact time that bus 99 (or 999, as I'm not sure of the exact bus nr.) will pass by Suvarnabhumi airport, bu I've read 9h45 on some websites & 10h20 on others, so I wanted to know if it's more likely to be one or the other. I land at 9h35, so I'm wondering if there is still a chance I can make it on that bus, otherwise I'll catch the Burapha bus company minivan at 11am.

I am right in estimating 6/7h from the airport to Koh Chang, although I know this can vary, depending on traffic & driver? I'm not too worried about the time I get to Koh Chang, as long as I make it to the last ferry, but on the way back I need to fly from BKK at 18h40, so should I leave Ko Chang at 9am, or is 7am safer?

Thanks in advance for your help!

10 replies to this topic
stockport
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BKK to Koh Chang

If your flight lands at 9.35am you have no chance of getting the early bus, you will be lucky to make the 11am bus

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,900 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BKK to Koh Chang

Hi,

I would play safe and spend the last night in Bangkok before travelling back to Portugal.

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
64 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BKK to Koh Chang

Why would you say that I'd be luck to get the 11am van? Will it take that long to get through customs, or do you mean that the van will be full?

I won't be travelling from Bangkok back to Portugal, as I do agree that would be too risky, but I do have a flight to catch from Bankgok that day. Do you think that if I leave at 7am, I won't be at the airport to check in at 17/17h30? I haven't booked my flight yet, so I could try to book a later one.

United States
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BKK to Koh Chang

Galante - Regarding your first question, I think you should budget an hour to clear immigration and collect your luggage. So I think the 11:00 bus is your best option, but you should also have a contingency plan in case you miss the 11:00 bus (because your flight could be delayed or there could be a very long wait at immigration).

On your return trip, if you leave Koh Chang at 7am, you should be able to check-in at BKK by 17:00.

Koh Chang, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Chang, Ko Mak
Level Contributor
3,799 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BKK to Koh Chang

The public bus used to leave Ekkamai at 09:45 and get to the airport around 10:20.

But the timetable changed a year ago. It now leaves 09:00 & gets to the airport around 09:45.

So take the 11:00 Suvarnabhumi Burupha minibus to Koh Chang.

Buy tickets at the counter at Entrance 8 on Level 1 of the terminal building. 600 Baht one way or 900 Baht return.

Coming back you could take the early morning Suvarnabhumi Burupha minibus at 07:00 from Koh Chang. That would be cheapest. You'll be at the airport around 13:00.

Or if you want to leave later there are other minibus services that would pick you up from your hotel around 08:00 - 09:00 and you'd be at the airport by 15:30 at the latest. So also in plenty of time for your flight.

Edited: 26 September 2017, 05:24
Koh Chang, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Chang, Ko Mak
Level Contributor
3,799 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BKK to Koh Chang

Forgot to add. If you want to book the Suvarnabhumi Burupha minibus in advance, you can do so here : https:/…

(50 Baht surcharge for booking online)

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
64 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BKK to Koh Chang

Thanks very much for your help! the online booking is a great tip, as I did find this.

Aarhus, Denmark
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: BKK to Koh Chang

Going from BKK to Koh Chang on december 4. Arriving at BKK at 7.10 Am

Read somewhere about a shared minibus departure at 9.30 am. But I only Can find a departure at 11.00 at the website.

Does anybody know if the 9.30 departure exist ?

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
64 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BKK to Koh Chang

I think that before 11am you only have the public bus that gets to the airtpor at 9h45, as Ian said above.

Koh Chang, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Chang, Ko Mak
Level Contributor
3,799 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BKK to Koh Chang

Last High Season there was an 09:30 service but this must depend on demand. It won't be running yet.

It doesn't exist on any official timetable online. But you will see it does exist at the ticket counter at Suvarnabhumi.

Reply to: BKK to Koh Chang
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ko Chang