We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Flotte for baby holiday or Ars en Re ?

murp2010dr
1 post
Save Topic
La Flotte for baby holiday or Ars en Re ?

We are thinking of staying in La Flotte with our 10 month old and dog in september. Is this a child friendly area. Good selection restaurents. Easy to travel with buggy.

We are looking at another property in Ars en Re too. Is this too quiet an area

6 replies to this topic
Angers, France
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: La Flotte for baby holiday or Ars en Re ?

Hi

The beach is a little better in st Martin than in La Flotte, but it's muddy at low tide. In Ars there are well sheltered and sandy beaches. In season all the villages of Ré are lively, and st Martin is sometimes crowed. Not Ars.

For bars and restaurants, you will have more choice in St Martin, but you will not die of thirst in Ars, and it's the same for restaurants.

Charente-Maritime...
Level Contributor
503 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La Flotte for baby holiday or Ars en Re ?

i was on the isle last week, had lunch in St Martin and then drove up to Ars ( which we rarely do) I'd forgotten much of the detail of Ars so had a pleasant couple of hours re aquainting myself. As Bernard says the beaches are better up there and if you're there for a week and just want a chilled holiday then Ars would be perfect. theres enough restaurants if you wanted to eat somewhere different every night and enough 'town' for you to have a different route with the buggy every evening.

Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
6,001 posts
620 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Flotte for baby holiday or Ars en Re ?

If a good selection of restaurants is important to you, I would go for La Flotte.

Rambouillet, France
Level Contributor
5,220 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La Flotte for baby holiday or Ars en Re ?

If you have a car then you will seek out restaurants and eat only half the time in "your" town. I would focus on comfort for the child & dog and your own peace over good-crowds and food. Of the ten years visiting spent on Ré it was all Ars except once in St.M for me.

Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
6,001 posts
620 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: La Flotte for baby holiday or Ars en Re ?

La Couarde Ser Mur and Le Bois Plage have the best beaches.

Sevenoaks Kent
Level Contributor
117 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: La Flotte for baby holiday or Ars en Re ?

We have a house in La Flotte and take our two dogs there several times a year. Like the rest of the island it is flat so walking, biking and push chairs are very easy. La Flotte will have around 12 or so restaurants open in September (our favourite month). St martin has at least double. Ars has fewer to choose from. Accessing the countryside is easier from La Flotte, very scenic hard surface coastal paths in both directions and not far from forests inland. Some forest trails are sandy so choose wisely if you have the push chair although the dogs love them. I am biased of course to La Flotte, it ticks all our boxes.

Reply to: La Flotte for baby holiday or Ars en Re ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about La Flotte