We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Path of the Gods Hike Base

McAllen, Texas
Level Contributor
286 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Path of the Gods Hike Base

I am planning to hike this trail late march, starting in bomerano to positano. I would like to base from sorrento since i'm doing a couple of other day trips. How are the buses in late march since i have heard some bad things regarding them being super full, etc. Would another 'base' besides sorrento be better.

6 replies to this topic
Sudbury...
Level Contributor
6,385 posts
844 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Path of the Gods Hike Base

Hi Dave,

I posted the logistics explaining how to get to Bomerano from Sorrento in my review. See if it helps.

tripadvisor.com/…review236381029

Nora

McAllen, Texas
Level Contributor
286 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Path of the Gods Hike Base

I actually read, it was super helpful and informative. However, do the times change in regards to me going in march. Also I am new to the buses in the area.

Are all the buses (SITA, etc) from sorrento coming from same area? And is there and up to date web site with times?

thanks

Sudbury...
Level Contributor
6,385 posts
844 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Path of the Gods Hike Base

Yes, the timings might change in March - maybe try these websites.

http://www.positano.com/en/bus-schedule

www.sitabus.it/official-sita-timetables/

The buses will be crowded, but you will be taking it from Sorrento where they start their route: you will have a better chance to get a seat. The bus stop is right across the Sorrento train station and the schedules are posted there. Most likely, your hotel will provide the most recent schedule for you when you arrive.

McAllen, Texas
Level Contributor
286 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Path of the Gods Hike Base

thanks

Dallas, Texas
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Path of the Gods Hike Base

We just returned from Italy and hiked the path of the gods. It was wonderful and one of the highlights of our trip. The views are spectacular and it was a reasonable path although there are a few areas that require some agility. We started in Bomerano as you are planning.

We stayed in Sorrento for 3 nights at the hotel Bristol and loved it. It is just out of the main town but an easy walk to town. (Look for the Basilica restaurant- it is off the beaten path. it was our favorite.) We did day trips to Capri and Pompeii(including walking up Mt Vesuvius - I would recommend that also.) We then spent a night in Positano and did the path of the gods from there.

We used a driver service from Sorrento to Positano, dropped our luggage, and then had them drive us to Amalfi. This is more expensive than a bus but we could set our own schedule. There seems to be no problem getting buses from Sorrento to Positano or Amalfi. We walked around Amalfi and saw the church and then took the bus to Bomerano.

You can get a map of the path with instructions on where to start at the tourist info center near the busstop in Amalfi. The bathrooms are in the same place. (restrooms are usually about .5 euros per person) We bought our tickets from the Tobachi. We told the busdriver we wanted to get off in Bomerano and he told us when we got there. It wasn't clear which direction to go when we got off, and a few of us went the wrong way. When you get off, take the left turn and it leads to the town square. Better yet, ask the bus driver to point you in the right direction.

At the town square there is a sign that points you in the right direction. You start of on a stone trail that eventually turns to dirt. We stopped at a grocery type store on the town square and bought bread and cheese and this made a nice lunch. We also got water for everyone. There is a hotel/restaurant right next to the sign that has a restroom you can use.

We had the trail to ourselves most of the time. We met a few people and everyone was friendly and willing to take photos of our group for us. It took us a little over two hours to get to Nocelle. We are in pretty good shape and walked at a steady pace but stopped for pictures and water and to eat our food.

We decided to take the bus down to Positano. There is a fork in the trail after you get to Nocelle. There is a sign that points to Positano to the left and to the right leads to the bus stop. We happened to get there within 30 minutes of the next bus. Completely lucky as we had not checked schedules. I think is probably fine to hike down to Positano, but we did not want to take the steps. There may be another way down that doesn't take the steps. Bring change or small bills for the bus ride or purchase another ticket in Amalfi. I didn't have quite enough change, but the driver took pity on us.

We liked our hotel in Positano, but not much was open last week and it is steep down to the water. More will be open for you as most things were opening today for the spring/summer season.

We said next time we would do a day trip from Sorrento like you are doing. Sorrento is so easy to get around. and there were lots of places to eat and get our daily gelato. You do walk down to the marina to catch the boat to Capri. It is an easy train ride to Pompeii and Naples if you are going there.

This is a great time to go since the crowds are not bad at all. The temperature was in the 60s and felt great. We did take rain jackets and umbrellas, but we only had a few times where it rained. ( on the hike we got a little rain, but not much. )

Have a great trip and enjoy the path!

McAllen, Texas
Level Contributor
286 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Path of the Gods Hike Base

Thanks so much for your detailed post. We are doing the hike tomorrow so will try to update on experience

Reply to: Path of the Gods Hike Base
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Agerola