We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mosquitoes in the chianti towns.

pa
Level Contributor
148 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
mosquitoes in the chianti towns.

We are thinking of staying in a small town near Florence in October. I have heard the mosquitoes can still be bad esp in the city of Florence. Has anyone experienced problems with them in early October?

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
2 replies to this topic
Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mosquitoes in the chianti towns.

We just spent Sept 30-October 7 in a villa near San Gusme in the southern Chianti region of Tuscany. We spent a day in Florence and the other 6 days visiting several Tuscan hill towns. Our villa had window screens, so insects were not a problem there. That being said, I never saw a mosquito the entire week anywhere else. I always take packable insect repellent sheets with me, just in case.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,360 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mosquitoes in the chianti towns.

Last year was a good year for those of us who hate mossies as the summer was so dry, there were far fewer of them around. We can't predict how they will be this year but you should, as Mom suggests, take precautions by bringing a Deet based spray with you and generally being very careful around dusk especially. Also, note Florence can be bad for mossies as there's a large river running straight through the centre of town. Out in the countryside, especially as autumn begins, in general they aren't usually quite so bad, though I still spray my legs in the evening when sitting outside.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Reply to: mosquitoes in the chianti towns.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted