We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire at Greve in Chianti

Mumbai, India
9 posts
Car hire at Greve in Chianti

I am staying at a villa at Greve in Chianti. I have my whole trip planned and now it feels that the dates are all wrong. I am arriving at Florence SNM station at 3.00 pm on 1 April 18. I would have preferred renting a car and driving to Greve in Chianti. But all the car rental shops are closed on Sunday evening. I have planned to take a taxi to Greve (we are group of 9). But I need 2 cars for rental the next morning. My questions :

Do I need to go to florence to get the car or can I get them at Greve in Chianti.

What is the best way to spend 3 days at Tuscany - My plan Day 1 Pisa & Lucca Day 2 (? No idea, your suggestions are welcome) day 3. Florence Day 4 leave for Rome.

5 replies to this topic
Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,963 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Car hire at Greve in Chianti

1st & 2nd April are major public holidays in this country - Easter Sunday and la Pasquetta. Nearest car hire to Greve would be downtown Florence. So Monday morning would have to be spent going into town and hiring a car (assuming places are open, it is a public holiday), at a pinch if you leave early I guess you could manage Pisa but Lucca on the same day would be pushing it. This would leave you only Tuesday. You can't re-think your plans?

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
12,814 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Car hire at Greve in Chianti

Car rental agencies should be operating at your arrival times at the Florence airport if they are closed in the city.

Car rental for the Tuscany area is optimal since it affords you the best flexibility for exploring the area. Have a look at www.autoeurope.com and put in your travel dates and pick up time and see what is available.

I just checked and they have a 9 passenger van available; so have a look and good luck and enjoy.

Mumbai, India
9 posts
3. Re: Car hire at Greve in Chianti

Thank You. Managing times & dates of 9 people has been very difficult. Dates are inflexible. Could we go into florence on 2 april & do the tourist stuff and pick up the cars ?

Mumbai, India
9 posts
4. Re: Car hire at Greve in Chianti

How far is the airport from the SNM station & how do we get there?

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,356 posts
18 reviews
5. Re: Car hire at Greve in Chianti

Read this carefully before you make your arrangements: https://tuscany-toscana.blogspot.com/2013/08…

With all the hassle involved in renting, you might want to simply hire a driver and minibus both for the trip from the airport to Greve and for your excursions. In the end you'll save a lot of time and maybe even money.

Reply to: Car hire at Greve in Chianti
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Greve in Chianti